Buying a house question?

So my credit is bad. I have had foreclosure and repo about 5 years ago me and my gf are looking at getting a house together her credit is MUCH better then mine and never bought a house. She is a server at a restaurant and doesn’t make that much money, I make good money. Should we get married and go into a house with our combined incomes and use her credit or what is the best way to go for our dilemma. 

With the foreclosure and repo on your record, the odds of your obtaining a mortgage in your name are slim as you already know, even if you have a good income. And, as your girlfriend doesn't have much income, her odds aren't too good either. I would hold off for now and work on repairing your credit in order to raise your credit score.

I'm with those saying this plan is nightmarish (even if you could get the home, which you can't).  Every expert out there (relationship, financial, etc) says the same on this.  Never make a major purchase with someone who is not a spouse.   Separately, you need to fix your credit and she needs to find a way to generate more income.

Your credit has to be used if your income is to be used, and that will cause you a problem. Work on fixing it.

If you want to use both incomes, then both of your credit histories will be used. You'll have to wait until:

1. Your credit improves.

-or-

2. She earns enough money to go it alone.

Given your bad credit history, it's unlikely that even combined you'll have many options.

Do you also have the required savings?

If your credit is bad, they won't consider your income 

Never buy real estate with someone you aren't married to.

And do not marry someone so you can buy a house.

Back the truck up. 

You can't use just "her credit" to buy a house unless she is the only one buying it. 

Honestly, it WOULD be best for one of you to buy the house and the other of you to pay rent to the other (until you're married), but that's not going to happen since she can't afford a house and you wouldn't be approved due to your credit.

Rent.  Get your financial house in order.   Save a down payment.  Get married.  THEN buy a house.

• Judy

If your credit is bad, they won't consider your income either, just hers.

i would talk to a credit card company about it

• Nuff Sed
      1 month agoReport

Sure, maybe put your down payment on credit...  oh, wait.

Your credit would still affect things a lot. You'd need a large down payment to stand a chance probably.