Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social SciencePsychology · 1 month ago

How to stop being a couch potato/get rid of depression ?

So apparently I’m a couch potato. As soon as I get off work I come lay on the couch and watch tv before falling to sleep, when I wake up on the couch I turn on the tv before work and after I do it all over again. On the weekends when I don’t have to work I literally spend all my time on the couch watching tv. I only get up to make me food or to pee. I have poor eating habits and I barely shower everyday. I’m a 18 year old girl, not in college yet but I have all these plans that I haven’t did nothing to execute. I’m a procrastinator, I get nothing done and have no energy to try. I don’t have a car and I have no friends, or family that I close to. So basically it’s just me.

There's something very important to understand - the difference between motivation and energy.

People say, "I know there are things that will make me feel better - getting exercise, taking care of myself, straightening up the house and cleaning, but I'm depressed and I don't have the energy." The thing is, people do have energy when they're depressed - as much energy as they always do, but for some reason, the system is reluctant to let you use your energy. It's like trying to get money out of the ATM if you've forgotten your PIN.

Why is this? One theory - our prehistoric ancestors didn't get depressed, and we haven't evolved good instincts for dealing with depression. Your system treats depression as if it was the flu.

We have to use psychology to coax energy out of our systems. Psychology has some nifty tricks.

I'll tell you a couple of simple tricks that I've found to be very useful. I used to have a terrible problem with procrastination, and these things helped me greatly.  

This is useful for all kinds of things you don't feel like doing. If a task seems like it's too big, think of it as a series of tasks that you can take on one at a time, and start with something really, really easy. Cleaning - start by cleaning for 3 or 4 min and take a 5 min break. Or start by just cleaning the kitchen counters. Homework - start by proofreading a paper or by previewing a chapter you're about to read, looking at headings, sub-headings, etc.

Short breaks are good but always watch the clock. Look for natural breaks, like after you finish a chapter or write an outline.

Staying on task - if you find yourself dawdling, wasting time while you're working, here's a simple fix. Decide how much time it will take to get a task done and do it in that time, watching the clock.

A famous psychiatrist said that when we can't control our feelings we can still control our muscles. If you tell your arms and legs to get you to the bathroom for a shower or outside for some exercise to energize you, they will obey.

Try this when it seems that you're too tired to work. Lie on the couch, close your eyes, and get ready to work by imagining yourself working for 5 minutes. Again, think in terms of taking it step by step and starting with something really easy.

Of all the basic lifestyle choices, the one with the best evidence is exercise, and you don't have to be an athlete to benefit from it. Research shows that when people suffering from depression go for long walks with friends, this is very therapeutic (source - the lifestyle-depression project at the University of Kansas). Things that take your mind off your problems for a while, like a funny movie, are helpful, as long as you don't let them dominate you.

Of all the traditional Asian methods (meditation, tai chi, etc.) the one with the best evidence for helping people with mood problems is controlled breathing. I have information about therapeutic breathing recommended by psychiatrists Brown and Gerbarg and PTSD therapist Emma Seppala in my answers. This is safe and requires no training.

There's a lot of things that can help and a big advantage to having a professional who knows how to use them. Details in this answer under DEPRESSION TREATMENTS -

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20150...

Treatment usually begins by seeing the GP, who can give you a physical and a referral. I mention referral because just a bottle of pills is not a very good approach.

The things you'd want to tell the doctor are how you feel at different times of day, any symptoms you might have such as change in appetite or sleep, and things in your life affecting how you feel.

Set some mini goals with rewards for achieving them.

Thanks

Very Best Wishes

Mars

Source:) Personal views cited

Get some hobbies you can do outside.

After a while others will stop by.

And ask how you get so good.

Exercising is a good outlet for depression 

just find something else to do out of your place so you meet people and arent so depressed

Study your next move.

I usually plan all my goals based on what I learn about them from the internet.

Then I knock them all out like dominoes depending on which one can get done faster and which one is priority.

And it's kept me going like a ninja for years.

Plan. Execute.

...is my strategy.

Then you can laze around all day knowing you killed 8 birds with 1 stone.

"Never put off what you can do today, for tomorrow." -My mother and her father.

Get a dog.  Take it for a walk every day (or more).  Or if you don't like dogs, don't get a dog, but still go for a walk every day.  If you can do it in nature all the better but if you're stuck in an urban setting even walking around the block every day is a good place to start.

Get a dog it will make you become more active, give you responsibility’s