Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceRenting & Real Estate · 1 month ago

LL is trying to charge me for picking up trash?

On 12/1 when I moved out of my rental unit, I throw a way some furniture and bags,  which was set out neatly by the curb for the garbage people to pick up. The reason I could not take some of my furniture and things because the unit had infestation because the LL did not want to spray.  The LL sent me a letter today stating that he had picked up my trash I lefted by the curb and that he was taking it out my deposit.  For one how can you charge me for trash that the trash company was going to pick up for free? And second he would have to charge other tenants as well because they added garbage and things to the curb as well. He also did not want to show me any receipts when I asked to see them pertaining to him using a company to remove the items from the curb. I think he needs to return that 400 dollars he is trying to take out, as he should of let the city and garbage people do thier job.

Yes, I called and arranged a pick up but the LL couldnt wait so they decided to pick up the items. I even told the LL I would get it picked up trash if it's still thier after a week. What made the situation worse is that the dirty neighbors took this as an opportunity to throw out thier things as well making the pile bigger.  

Jeez some of you guys must be having a bad day.  We come to you guys for answers, not to be criticized or be judged. Yes, my city has a special day to pick up bulk items for FREE. Also we are to asked to leave our trash curb side and not blocking the drive or walk way. And yes I will complain about my 400 bucks because its MINES and not for him to pocket it and spend like it is his( this is to the person who commented on me wanting my money back). Thank you for your answers guys!

• AJ

There are several issues going on here, and are entirely dependent on the laws of your municipality. Based on your description of what you put out at the curb, it is possible the normal garbage collection would not have taken it, thus requiring the LL to dispose of it, aka pay someone to haul it away. Also, the owner could have been ticketed by the city because you put trash out by the street during non approved time frame. Many cities limit how early trash can be put out at the curb prior to it being picked up. In my city, I can't put my trash out until after 6pm of the day prior to trash pickup.

Bottom line, there are legit reasons the LL had to incur costs. If you believe they are false, your recourse is to file in small claims court.

He must produce proof of the charges.

It would be impossible for him to determine whether it was all  yours - with items added by neighbors or with nothing added by neighbors.  He wouldn't have security guards standing watch.  It sounds like his charges were for men to go and remove what you left behind and cart that to the curb.  Your excuse for leaving some things behind because of "infestation" is not a reasonable excuse.  It is very likely that handymen have a $200 minimum for heavy lifting jobs.  Two men to carry one sofa could eat up that $400.

Source(s): Certified Paralegal, with 25+ years' experience & with Landlord & Tenant law experience.
    • Nuff Sed
      1 month agoReport

Two men to carry one sofa that didn't need to be moved shouldn't cost the former tenant a dime, let alone $400. It's up to the landlord to PROVE they were required to remove the trash and how much it cost them.

Just how much trash was there, for a $400 charge.  Worst case he can charge you for his cost to do (and I doubt it was close to that number) this but you are going to have to take him to court to get your money back.

Then your choice is to take him to small claims court and see which person the judge agrees with.  It's going to help if you can show something that the city would have picked up the items for free and leaving it at the curb is typical.

• Nuff Sed
      1 month agoReport

Yes, you simply send back a dispute of the $400 charge and a final demand for payment of your entire deposit. If they refuse, THEN you sue.

Furniture is usually far above the size that the regular city garbage can pick up. In many places, the number of bags is also limited, such as a two bags per resident per pickup. But large items, such as appliances and large pieces of furniture, almost always require special pickup.

It is not the job of the city garbage people.

The gall of Lumber Liquidators.

• Maxi

If you left junk at the side of the road which likely has laws about when it can be puyt there and how long it can stay before the city charges the owner ( landlord) with a fine for littering......... you have two choices, you sue and prove to the court the deposit amount was taken unnecessarily  of course if you lose you could also be charged your landlords legal costs as well or you accept the deposit reduction and move on

• Nuff Sed
      1 month agoReport

First you send back a dispute of the charge and demand your deposit in full. If they refuse, for no good reason, then you sue them and they have the burden of proving their defense, if they have one.

Was the trash company going to pick up the trash for free?

- not in my city.  If you have furniture or other large items, the city does not automatically pick up the items.  They will do a "special pick-up" for these and they don't take certain things like mattresses.

- did you live the items on the trash pickup day or were they going to have to wait at the curb?  In my city, you are fined if your trash is put out more than 24 hours in advance.

$400 sounds excessive unless you left large items like mattresses, a couch, bedframe, etc.

- the landlord does not need to take from the other tenants.  You are free to sue them for a portion of the money. 

Most cities limit you to one sofa for pickup as extra trash. If your stuff was NOT in the garbage bin, then it's a separate pickup that the city needs to do and they only do that IF you call and arrange a pickup.

Did you call? Did you leave the right size amount? If you piled tons of stuff, that would not be picked up because you had more than one sofa sized pile.

• AJ
      1 month agoReport

Just because your city does, doesn't mean every city does. Where I live, if it isn't small trash, they aren't taking it. period.. And the garbage can not put out at the curb until after 6pm the night before pickup.