In movies from the golden age of Hollywood, women were treated like children and were even called "kid". Were women really treated that way?

back then, and were they really called kid like they were in the movies?

Yeah, and no one got in trouble for giving them a little slap on the rear then. 

• Damien

because when u have soft skin and are good looking, u are considered to be like a kid by the hairy ugly stubble face men, but now that your average woman looks like a roseanne or a whoopi goldberg, its weird to call such people kid

My mom worked in an office in the 1950s and 1960s, and yes, she was routinely called "girl". She took some time off to raise my brother and I, and when she went back to work in the early 1980s, the atmosphere was much different and women were in management positions which were rare before then. 

• Mark

It was even in question whether or not they had a soul, and could think for themselves.

• Jay

of course they were, kid