Ed asked in Entertainment & MusicMovies · 1 month ago

Do movie reviewers give poor reviews to great movies because they disagree politically?

For example, I just read the reviews for Richard Jewell. I got the impression that some of the reviewers (known names from liberal newspapers) gave it a poor review because they didn't like Clint Eastwood's knock on the main stream media, which is overwhelmingly liberal. Some of the reviewers simply might not like Clint Eastwood because he leans to the right, and will go out of their way to dislike his movies.

4 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

Professional movie reviewers are professionals.  Politics have no impact on things like how well as movie is cast, acted, directed or filmed.  Amateur reviewers, like those who have review-bombed movies they didn't agree with, focus on politics.

• Ed1 month agoReport

omg, you are so naive.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 1 month ago

It is reported that the film falsely said that the reporter Kathy Scruggs (played by Olivia Wilde) slept with an FBI agent (played by John Hamm) in order to gain a lead in the story. The newspaper she worked for, Atlanta Journal-Constitution, and Shruggs' friends and family said she never traded sex for leads.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/portrayal-fem...

Some critics pointed out that for a film that targets the media for inaccurate reporting as a way to gain attention, the film itself presents inaccuracies for its story. 

According to Rotten Tomatoes, 73% of film critics gave "Richard Jewell" a positive review. It appears that most of the left leaning sites gave positive reviews, with many citing  Paul Walter Hauser's perfomance as Jewell as a major highlight while being critical of how Shruggs is depicted.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/richard_jewell/re...

• ...Show all comments
    • Eastwood has been known to be conservative for years. However, American Sniper and Sully received high praise and accolades from critics. They do give poor reviews if the film is bad, like Eastwood's Hereafter and The 15:17 to Paris.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Somehow we all file into the movies made by evil men supported by the CIA with our tax money 

• 1 month ago

Really, really high on the list of things I don't really give a crap about.

• ...Show all comments
    • Ed1 month agoReport

care to elaborate? You don't care about movie reviews? It's ok if you don't. Some people pay no attention to movie reviews. But it wouldn't hurt for you to elaborate so people can get a better understanding of what you mean. I mean, assuming you can string together two sentences.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.