Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationOther - Cars & Transportation · 1 month ago

Why is my car insurance expensive?

I’m a 23 year old male and I have a class A CDL license with some tractor trailer experience and I’m currently a school bus driver. I’ve never got a speeding ticket or have been in an accident so I think it’s complete BS that my insurance is so high. If I went and talked directly with an insurance agent and explained all of this could they get me a cheaper insurance rate?

16 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

Don't care if you think it is BS.  They have heard it all before ever since people started driving cars. So you are not the first...nor the last to complain.  It is policy with all insurance companies.

We all had to do it.  .   Insurance works with statistics and stats show them males aged 16-25 are the HIGH RISK drivers.(so after 25, the rate starts to go down because by this time it is figured that most got a family and equity(too much to lose) so start driving more carefully to protect all that.

Too much pss and vinegar in young men? More of the gambler, more of the risk taker, more of "I got NOTHING to lose" attitude-which would be true if you were not insured...and not sharing the road with others who have a family and their life ahead of them.   

So, you do not need to be insured if you did not have collision coverage on your vehicle or if you did not drive on public roads.  Mandatory PL & PD to PROTECT ALL THE OTHERS from your asinine driving gambles...insuring them of adequate compensation should you hurt them PL(public liability)/ or damage their property(stuff they own)PD(public damages)/- - that is money your insurance has to pay out to them - -Now, let us put you off road with no coverage on your vehicle when it gets damaged and nobody can drive on the land you are driving on so nobody ELSE can get hurt.  HAVE AT HER.Remember"Wile E. Coyote"(Bugs Bunny/Roadrunner cartoons)?You are he.The stuff that happens to him is you.  You will miss that corner and go down into that ravine.In cartoons, he never dies.You will.It is a 1 shot deal.By paying more for your insurance you will A. be a careful driver B. you are young and are Earning money so you CAN afford to  .    pay for it.C. if you are Lucky, you will never get into a CRASH that will .    maim you for LIFE.  NO amount of money can fix that, or      reverse death. D.  Insurance costs make you respect your "Driving Privilege"E.  You can avoid insurance entirely & WALK to work& work in .     a factory or a shoe store.Insurance is not there just to dole out money.  They are there"Just in Case" the worst can happen.  Money is a poor substitute for a crash where a life is lost or damaged. But that is all we got at this time..  Insurance is also a business. Business is in operation to make money.  That is their sole driver.  Not to lose money.

It only has gotten worse since YouTube videos.

• Login to reply the answers
  • Dan B
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Insurance is based upon the demographics of the genral population that you fit into.  Younger drives, like yourself, are more prone to having an accident; so higher premiums.  There are about 30+ factors that go into your premiums.  Gender, age, education level, zip code of where you keep your car, marital status, amount of driving, type of car just to name few.

• JetDoc
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Your insurance is expensive because you're a 23 year-old male! The "Magic number" for lower rates seems to be around 25 years old.

• F
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

At 23 your insurance should start to get cheaper from now on. Howeve , you need to earn no claims discounts. this can go as high as 60-70% , so makes a massive difference. You might be the world's best driver but this is the only proof insurance companies have, so until you can clock up 4 or 5 years without a claim, you will pay high premiums.

Also you don't say where you live or what car, both car double or triple your premium.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

Cuz you earns a little money. Go to a buses and trains if you poor

• 1 month ago

It's all a conspiracy, that's what it is.

Stick it to the man, man.

• 1 month ago

Because insurance is a legal scam, and since driving is a privilege, they can pretty much charge what they want

• 1 month ago

because the law requires you to have it so the insurance companies know they've got you by the b@lls. and the government mandate for health insurance would have done the same thing to our health care costs. thank god it was repealed.

• Yeah, that's why they've got Medicare and Social Security covered, right?  Single-payer system would put health care into the same category as education and the military.  Do the school systems have you by the balls?  Does the military have us by the balls?  Moron.

• Shop around.  Compare prices and coverage from different companies and choose what's best for you.  Sometimes you have to do stuff like that in order to get a better deal.  Don't just do this for insurance.  Do it for everything you can, like internet service, phone service, etc...

• 1 month ago

You don't say what is a "high" rate.  With a CDL, semi driving and school bus driving you are in the highest risk category.  Shop around.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.