Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceRenting & Real Estate · 1 month ago

Landlord issues?

I rent a single family home from a private landlord. We are having several issues with him but this one in particular id like advice on. The only way we are allowed to pay him rent is the first weekend of the month he comes to collect cash only. I have tried to get him to accept a check by mail, venmo, money order you name it. This is the only way he will accept rent. The reoccurring issue im having is for example he says ill be there saturday at noon. Noon comes and goes and its now 3pm we text him and he always says i had to do (insert excuse here) ill be there within the hour. 6pm rolls around still no landlord. We call or text and same as above ill be there shortly... we have stayed up until 2am on a sunday with us going to work the next day at 630 am. He never comes when he says he will and forces us to sit around all day waiting on him to show up and we cant ever get anything done. Weve talked to him about it and he always has an excuse and doesnt seem to care about the huge inconvenience he is. Ive never had issues with a landord before. Hes already made us pay past due utility bills from prior tenants and will not fix anything thats broken and also tells us we cant do any repairs on the house ourselves. I always pay my rent on time, i do eveything he asks no matter how ridiculous but im tired of this. He always shows up to the house wasted slurring his words so i can never reason with him. What can i do

12 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

asking for cash payments can only mean the landlord is hiding the rental income from someone, but that his wife or the tax man.. he is hiding it.

What does your lease say ?  Does it say that you must pay cash ? If not, I suggest you take professional advice on this.

And my advice?  As soon as the lease is up … move !

• Login to reply the answers
  • Lolly
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Your state or city may have a law about cash rent. Look into that.

• nanu
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

move.......................................

• 1 month ago

What is detailed on that in your rental contract?

You can move. Or you can stay and do it by his rules.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

Hmm cash only. Did you bounce checks in the past ? ?

Merry Christmas

• 1 month ago

Time to move out man.

• 1 month ago

take him to court, try to get a court order requiring him to accept alternate payment and do repairs...and next time rent something in your price range that is decent....sounds like you insisted on a HOUSE instead of a cheaper apartment....if you can't afford a nice house, you need to downsizeIF YOU COULD AFFORD BETTER< WHY DIDN'T YOU GET BETTER?  only an idiot would have signed a lease for that place...unless that is all they could afford.

an intelligent person would have read and understood  the lease, looked for payment requirements (if it does not say cash only, tell the LL  to shove it..checks in the mail and dare him to take you to court...an intelligent person would not go along with the demand for cash when he shows up...unless that is actually in the lease)...

an intelligent person would have noticed the condition of the property...and if it was in good condition...and has gotten so bad...that indicates tenants fault.

an intelligent person would not have paid bills they don't owe.

anyone who could afford better would have found better.

• Speed
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Where you live determines what the law is. In the states in the US I know about, you do not have to pay cash, nor pay in person. So step one is to learn the law where you live. (Look for StateName plus "landlord tenant law")

Step two is to announce that you will no longer be paying him in cash. It's your decision whether you tell him his requirement is both a risk (what if you were robbed or burglarized when you had that rent cash on you?) and a substantial inconvenience, since he is so often delayed in collection. Tell him you will have a legal form of payment to him by the date required on the lease, if there is one, or by the first of the month if you are a month-to-month tenant.

If he's slurring his words when he collects, he could be drunk or high, or he could have a medical thing going that's none of your business. But as someone else said, I think you need to insist on a receipt if you continue to pay cash.

I also agree that his reasoning is undoubtedly that he's putting one over on someone. Whether it's the tax man, his wife or ex, or a partner, who knows? That's not your concern. All you need to do is follow the law to the letter.

• Maxi
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

First I do hope you get a receipt each time you pay otherwise you can't prove you paid rent....  if not it is important you take out the exact amount from your bank so you have a receipt for that you can keep and have a witness to the paying of the  cash........... it sounds like he is avoiding  declaring/paying tax on his rental income and if he will not fix/repair.

Do you have a signed termed contract? If not then you also have no security and it maybe better to find another place to rent, give your basic 30 days notice and go

• 1 month ago

Simple solution, move out.

Or threaten him that you’ll report him to the IRS. The only reason anyone only accepts cash is when they dint want to report it to the IRS as income.

• Judy
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

Some landlords take cash only to avoid problems with bounced checks.  
      but true, some think that if it's paid in cash they can get away with not claiming it, even though they are wrong thinking that.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.