aiste asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 1 month ago

Fluent speakers of English, could you help me with my English?

I need to translate a paragraph but my English is not very good. Should I change this paragraph to make it sound more natural? I would be very grateful for any answers.

While the local activists tried to foster principles of democracy and attempted to create an autonomous education system, here, like in other enslaved countries, the Russian government tried to destroy what good had been achieved in the conception stage. [I wanted to say that the Russian government suppressed everything good that was achieved already in the beginning stage so that people do not make any major advancements]

• Mamie
    Favorite Answer

This is quite good; there are no grammatical errors.  However, it's a very long sentence that would probably be more understandable if it were broken up into shorter sentences.  Try this:

Local activists tried to foster principles of democracy and attempted to create an autonomous education system.  However, the Russian government worked to destroy the good that had been achieved, just as they had done in other enslaved countries.