A 40MB hard drive in the 1980s would be equivalent to what size hard drive today?

In the 80s there were 40mb hard drives to survive on when owning a computer. 

Would that be equivalent to a 512gb hard disk drive today? 

Favorite Answer

About 1 TB............at a guess.

Well, considering hdd in 1986 were 10 mb standard unless you had a lot of money. This was the age of Windows 3, and 3.1 for networks, DOS 5.0.  I personally would say it would be equivalent as 1tb. 

One MB! Approx.

First 1GB hard drive I got was about 1992 and cost $1000

At the time, most people were struggling to get along with 1.44 mb floppies.  My first computer had 180mb floppies, and the drive for it was $640 in 1984 money.  Computer speeds and capacities increased exponentially for decades.  Computer speeds and capacities are barely increasing anymore.. but prices are dropping.  Unfortunately, the incredibly low price of computer hardware makes it impossible to make much money in the computer field anymore.

• Rayal

My first hard drive was a 10 mb IBM drive the size of a 600 page novel.  $1200 and worth it to stop switching between 2 5 inch floppies. 

A 40mb size HD would be at least the equal of a 1Gb drive in the early 90s  and a 40Gb drive in the early 2000s. 

My first Performa 550 mac came with a IIRC a 160 Mb HD and 5 Mb RAM and that was in the 1993. 

That depends on whether you mean the beginning

or the middle

or the end of the 80s.

My first PC

- I built it myself

had a huge (for the time) 40 MB Western Digital hard drive.

$600

(About $1000 for the box components, I forget how much the good rep monochrome monitor set me back.)

An 80 MB was available, but the price was outrageous.

c. 1986

By the end of the 80s, 120 MB drives were standard on more expensive models.

In '84 I had a job in a company that owned 1 PC.

- I was sort of the expert trouble-shooter for the PC, not my main job though.

It had no hard drive (as was pretty typical of the time). Everything ran off of 5 1/4" floppy disks.

In the early 80s hard drives were only found on the top-of-the-line several thousands of dollars PCs. The first PC (the PC-XT) with a hard drive (10 MB) cost more than $7,000 in 1983.

You can stop trolling