Volkswagen is stopping the production of the Beetle. Will this make the old vintage beetle's worth more money now or it has no effect?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

IMO it will have no effect...as the "New Beetle" which is a water cooled front engine model is a totally different car. When they stopped making the aircooled engine, was an end of that era.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 2 months ago

The current Beetle models have absolutely no relation to the original aircooled models other than the brand name. 

Ending production of the current Beetle will have the same effect as if VW ended production of the Golf/Rabbit, or if Toyota stopped making Camrys. In other words. no effect at all.

“Classic” Beetle prices are no longer at the silly levels they once briefly hit. Prices have been fairly stable simply because there’s no shortage of them nor of the spare parts needed to maintain them. But younger drivers who never grew up with them are far less likely to get interested in them than older drivers, as young drivers just see them as slow, uncomfortable, noisy, thirsty and fairly unreliable. Also very few younger drivers like manual stick shifters as most have NEVER driven anything other than automatic transmission vehicles. So longer term, prices are likely to fall for all but the very most pristine examples or for rare special editions such as the Jeans model.

• 2 months ago

If anything, the values of used vehicles will drop. They are obsolete and way too many are still around.

• Anton
    Lv 5
    2 months ago

Volkswagen stopped production of the Air Cooled Type 1 ("Beetle") in 2003.

The Volkswagen New Beetle 100% different than the original.  The New Beetle was considered a "Chick Car" and in 2012 they made it bigger and powerful, but squashed down.  The chicks don't like the squashed bug, and guys still didn't like it, and as the sales dropped even more they finally stopped production of the new crap car.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

The vintage Beetles from the original era were a completely different car from the current iteration. They were rear-engined, air-cooled engines. The modern era were front-engined, water-cooled, front-wheel-drive, based on the VW Golf platform. The modern era Beetles will not affect the original era prices. The modern ones will likely just depreciate on their own merits.

Besides, it may not be the end, VW is talking about reintroducing the Beetle body style as an electric vehicle next. Yet another era to look forward to.

• 2 months ago

I doubt it will matter or make any difference. OLD beetles are a car young people fall in love with, but after OWNING one for a while, not so much. I owned a couple of them back in the 70's, and my younger sister owned one for a while. After I installed the THIRD engine in it, I told her so get rid of it.

• curmudgeon55
      Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

third engine? meaning you spent 2 hours each engine to swap- 3 hours if you had to drive to shop for a 21mm wrench for the engine/tranny mount bolts. Old beetles in Wisconsin some other northern salt using on road state still often running- but need floor panels and suspension mount rewelding. 

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.