My son is on contract in DUBAI and has herniated a disc in his back. Is it safe for him to fly back to North America for the surgery?

Will flying at high altitude affect the herniated disc?

Favorite Answer

I flew from Japan to Europe with a herniated disk, 10 years ago. There was no discussion about risks associated with the flight what so ever, but I was on a stretcher. (By far the most expensive flight I ever took. Fortunately, the assurance paid for it...). Right after that, I took another flight, this time just a few hours. I was sitting up and the doctors said that there would be no problem, It was uncomfortable though... In pain. Luckily, I had the seat next to me free so I could tilt down a bit. 

What they told me then was that surgery doesn't affect the prognosis and that it's used only in cases with extreme symptoms, pain, lack of sensitivity in the legs, etc. As always, better ask the experts in the field. 

Hope it turns out for the best.

• ron h

There's a LOT of money in Dubai; I'd think there's good doctors there. 

• Jason

yes of course he can come

better ask the doctor who will do the surgery

• 0NE TRlCK P0NY
      1 month agoReport

Unknown who will do the surgery or if they will even do surgery as the extent of damage has not been fully diagnosed.

• Tavy

No, he will just be uncomfortable on the flight. A herniated disc is just a small piece of jelly like substance which presses on the spinal cord.