Could someone please help me understand this quote?

Hi the following is a quote of praise for a novel, well The Godfather by Mario Puzo. But I can't fully understand it, could you please help explain what is meant by it?

"A voyeur's dream, a skillful fantasy of violent personal power without consequences"

Does that mean you get to dive into the book as if you were a 'voyeur' who is after some private matters without getting caught?

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago
    Favorite Answer

voyeur refers to getting excitement or pleasure without the risk of actually doing the exciting thing.  So, reading that book can let you feel how the Mob worked and what it was like for them without actually having to join the mob.

The sexual aspect of the word is a more recent narrowing of meaning. The original meaning of the word is more one of "Living vicariously" (feeling like you are doing the thing without actually doing it, usually by imagining yourself as someone else who actually does the thing).

• Login to reply the answers
  • RP
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

My interpretation is that those with voyeur tendencies, meaning they enjoy watching, will be pleased with the exercise of unchecked power that has no consequences the book makes available to its readers.

• 1 month ago

It means that the reader can dream, fantasise, and imagine himself doing what the characters in the novel do, but without the requirement to be responsible for his actions.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.