Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureHolidaysRamadan · 1 month ago

Is it acceptable to be vegetarian as Muslim? ?

I’m Muslim woman and I recently stopped eating meat. I have take up vegetarianism as my own choice. 

Please don’t change the category of this question. I am asking this question to get answers from Muslims so I posted it under Ramadan section. 

Favorite Answer

Hello there,

It is fine to be vegetarian in Islam.

But at least do explain what made choose this? Are you someone into spirituality (like tassawuf or sufism)?

-

301 False

There is nothing wrong with being a vegetarian. In this day and age the population has exploded rapidly and too many animals are being mistreated. Not all Muslims treat animals well too and some don't even slaughter them the halal way. So being a vegetarian/vegan is a good idea. I am going to be a Vegan next year but I will treat myself to some fish now and then. I love fish. I personally don't like the taste of meat and chicken that much. 

Certain Islamic orders are mainly vegetarian; many Sufis maintain a vegetarian diet.They are as peaceful and non violent as Hindus and they are more creative as well. So I guess its ok

• Mintee

Allah allows us to eat meat, but doesnt say we absolutely have to.. If you are getting the proper p rotein balance from eating vegetables, so be it, but dont be one of those that only eats white stuff.. like potatos, rice, macaroni, bread etc. You have to get a complete protein balance, so study up on that.. sometimes you have to combine certain vegetable proteins together.... ...

as a muslim you can eat anything except

pork

• PAMELA

Ask your iman, but i do not think that there is anything that says a muslim cannot be a vegetarian.

I can't imagine any reason at all as to why not.

• Sure. Why not?.....