Kim asked in Computers & InternetSoftware · 1 month ago

Where is my Windows.old folder?

A couple months ago I hard resetted my computer, and so a folder called windows.old was formed after the reset completed, which contained some of my old program files, and is evident that it holds a lot of my computer's memory because I went through it.

about a month or so later, the folder disappeared, but my computer's memory stayed the same. I've turned on "show hidden folders" but it's still not where it used to be. where did my windows.old folder disappear to?

stuff you might want to know:

-i've transfered some application folders from windows.old to my current "windows/program files" folders so that i don't have to download them again.

-i've deleted some folders in windows.old, though some folders don't want to be deleted for some reason.

• Lv 7

Windows deletes it after 30 days.

they keep it that long in case you forgot something and need to roll back.

The rollback folder and ability gets deleted after 10 days from upgrading. Some older versions had a 30 day window.

You might be able to use a data recovery program to recover the files assuming they haven't been overwritten. 

There are two scenarios here.  1)  The folder is 'hidden.'  go into folder options and look for "Show Hidden Folders."  Check the box off, reboot and then go back in and check it again.  Then go browsing for the folder in the c:\ root directory.  2) If the folder is still not found, it may be that that teh folder was temporary, and was deleted after a time.  The amount of space it uses is because it is still in the recycle bin.  Look in the recycle bin to see if it is there.  

• Ron75

Are you talking about free space on the hard drive? Memory is not in a folder as that is chips. If you are sure what you are looking at try cleaning your computer up. You will find a lot of junk files that are no longer used or needed.

Ron