Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesHistory · 1 month ago

Did Anne Frank really exist ?

The story seems implausible and contradicts much of known history. 

Plus, it has already been established that at least part of the diary was edited. 

@Sam- that's kind of the point that you're missing. Often extremist groups will fictionalize a story and create a symbol of that story. Typically someone who has strong credibility and draws sympathy...like a child. 

If she were alive I think she’d be rather disappointed to find out that she never existed in the first place

Yes, pretty much actually.

• Joe

Alot of people, places and things existed before you were born, Einstein.

Edited means things were removed that didn't add to the story and words may have been changed to make something easier to understand, without inserting things that weren't true. It was written in Dutch and had to be translated into one of the 60 or so languages it has been published in. Not everything translates perfectly from one language to another, so some editing is required.

how does the story seem implausible? Many people went through similar experiences during that time period but the only reason anne frank has become a "symbol" as you put it is that her diary gives us something that you can't read about in history books. Her diary was a way for us to truly understand how it felt to be a jew during world war II and what everyday life was like when you're constantly living in fear. We have facts and statistics but her diary is the only way we can begin to understand the true emotions that jewish people were feeling. Thats why her diary is so important. Just as fredrick douglas became a "symbol" for the abolition of slavery due to his novel about his struggles. It has nothing to do with her being a child, its just the most in-depth evidence we can find of the struggles people faced in world war II. And I don't think it's "extremist" to be against the slaughter of an innocent religious group but to each their own, I guess. 

You also mentioned that parts of the diary were edited. I was unable to find any evidence of the diary being edited by historians. I found out that Anne Frank DID rewrite the diary and took out bits from the old version before her and her family were found but thats as close as I could get. If it was edited at all after being found, it was most likely done by historians who did it for the sake of being able to better understand what it was saying. Keep in mind, anne frank began writing this when she was 13, there must have been some words that were hard to read or some bits that were written with poor grammar so it was hard to understand what it said. But I can't even find evidence of that happening, this is just a guess. I also don't know how it contradicts history? If you could explain exactly where that happened, I'm all ears. I think pretty well acquainted with her diary since I've read it and watched the movie a few times. AND I've taken AP Euro where I learned a lot about this time period but if you have evidence that I am unaware of, I'd be interested in hearing it. 

• Tina
      1 month agoReport

@Hart - what on earth do you mean? you do know that Ahlers was accused of betraying the Frank family, not of actually forging Anne's diary? have some sense, do. You are a bit of an idiot, aren't you?

Stop trying to fake things up. Yes it was real. Deal with it.

Im not sure ............ No oneknow

• geezer

Yes . Anne Frank really existed.

I've been to the house in Amsterdam where she was hiding from the Nazi's.

There is a cupboard in one room that is actually a door to another part of the house.

The diary was 'translated' rather than edited.

She didn't write it it English .. and she was only a child.

So ..

What is implausable and ''contradicts history'' about her story ?

And the moon landings didn't take place either -- it was just another giant conspiracy 

I suspect the diary was edited ---she was 13 when she started it ,and only 15 when she stopped writing it ,when she was captured and sent to Auschwitz .

But no rational person would doubt her existence or the tragedy of her life . 

• Sam

Yes it was real but you're missing the point of the story.  There were lots of Anne Frank types  (Jews hiding from Nazis with the help of good people assisting them, risking their own lives). They all had a little different story but basically all very similar.  

Source(s): Edit: Stories of the events in their lives are reminders that humanity still exists even at times when things happening in the world makes it look as if human kindness is deceased. Their stories give me hope for mankind that I might not otherwise have.