Will I receive my survivor benefits?

Hello, I am an autistic disabled adult who receives monthly social security benefits. My father recently passed away in August and I applied for survivor benefits in October. As of three weeks ago, my application was still pending. Any idea if or how long it'll take until it may be approved?

• Judith

It takes an average of 3 months to process a disability claim.  That, of course, means it might take longer.  If you haven't heard anything before  March, give them a call and ask for status.  In order to collect DAC (disabled adult child) benefits they must obtain evidence proving that you were severely disabled before age 22.  Otherwise the claim can't be approved.

I was a social security claims rep for 32 yrs.

• Thank you, that makes sense. But I already receive disability. My question is will I receive survivor benefits from my father's record ? I am considered a disabled adult child and I applied for survivor benefits in October.