If you don't sleep for three days will you die?

My sister said you will and I'm trying to prove that can't happen

26 Answers

Relevance
  • Joe
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

No, but you will get very sleepy....I read once that most people who claim they haven't slept for days actually have had many instances of short micro sleep during those times but they don't recall those small occurrences. They believe they've had zero sleep but in fact they had slept on and off.

• Login to reply the answers
  • I have experience of not sleeping for 72 hours. Now I'm writing to your answer. :)

So, no need to say more...!!!

• 1 month ago

You may not die from lack of sleep, but whatever means you used to keep you awake (stimulants, etc.) would probably be detrimental. Your brain seems to desire to sleep. It might try to simulate sleep (microsleeps, hallucinations, etc.), if it doesn't get it. Many people have done a full 72 hours without sleep (and certainly without much sleep). I believe that most branches of most militaries do it as part of their training. College fraternities used to do it as part of initiations all of the time. I'm not saying that it isn't harmful, but death was all but unheard of (I can't say the same for other forms of initiation).

• 1 month ago

Assuming you haven't been sleeping for the days since you asked this, it's now been 3 days and you should have your answer. For your sake, I hope your sister was wrong.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

Some koreans did it unofficially.  They lasted longer.  If you hit two weeks.....find people before you die.

• Como
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

I would be reluctant to experiment .

• 1 month ago

You will definitely run nuts if you don’t drop dead on the third day. I do a lot of stuff for bunch of kids.  I would not do that in my normal self unless under influence. 

• 1 month ago

"I'm not dead yet!!!"

done that a number of times in the military, hard to do and you suffer for it. Takes a few weeks or months to die from sleep deprivation.

• Teresa
    Lv 4
    1 month ago

Well, I once didn't sleep for 4 and...well, here I am.

• 1 month ago

I've done it several times in my life and I'm still alive.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.