AskZilla asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 1 month ago

Do you get offended when restaurants suggest you leave a tip with the tax figured in?

I find it highly offensive. They give you tip amount suggestions on the bill with the tax figured in!

No, I don't allow stupid little things like that to bother me. There's too much more going on in the world for me to concentrate on. I leave an 18 to 20% tip as a general rule. I don't even look at the tax or take any tipping suggestions. Because they're just that, suggestions. A suggestion really means nothing to me

• Cogito

I'm in the UK and here, the tax isn't even mentioned in the bill and tipping is entirely voluntary and not 'expected'.

We tip only in the evening for full service meals at real restaurants, not cafes or bars.  And even then, we only tip for really excellent service and it's usual to just round the bill up to the nearest round number of pounds.  Like if the bill is £37, we'd leave £40.

It’s even worse when they add the tip in. I went to a tourist trap place in Florida that did that. Not even sure if it’s legal. But that’s what they do in France. And their food wasn’t nearly as good as French food. Maybe they thought they could fool the European tourists because they would just think it was the same here as it is over there. I really don’t know. I hate Florida

No, can't say that I get offended.

• Foofa

I find it offensive that the US is the only place in the world where restaurants are able to pass their labor costs on to their customers like this. In other parts servers receive a decent wage so the price on the menu is what your meal will actually cost.

ive never had that happen but i could see why it would offend people

I don't remember seeing taxes on my restaurant bills but if they are there, no it doesn't offend me. It is better to at least have a ball park figure if you desire to tip than to do the math in your head. I take it as a matter of convenience and I am all for convenience. Even if I don't want to pay tips on the taxes portion, while not as convenient, I can reduce the tip down to what I believe to be suitable. If you would have given a 20% tip, you could simply give a 15% tip that would certainly cut out the taxes part. Personally I find the tipping method rather absurd since it is based on how much you spend and not the actual service. It requires the same amount of effort to bring out $10 plate vs. a $30 plate. It also encourages the sales of more expensive food and drink by the servers if you ask for recommendations. The tips are not just for the servers either, but the staff that benefits from the server giving good service. The alternative is higher pay where the tips are built into the price, which may lower business just because of the psychology of paying too much for a meal.

I don't tip routinely  and no-one I know does. In my country, Australia, we pay people wages they can live on so tipping is unnecessary. You might leave a tip for exceptional service but why tip someone for doing the work they are paid to do? Rather than expect customers to make up for the inadequate wages they are paying their staff, why don't restaurants pay them properly? Tipping is only necessary routinely in the third world.

• A C

I have never seen that but it does seem to be out of line.  

No, I don't find it offensive because I don't pay any attention to their "suggestions".

I decide on the amount of tip I leave.