What was the reason David would not accept the land from Ornan for nothing?

• David

Since Ornan was not a believer in the Lord God, any site that he gave David would have been unworthy of worship and sacrifice.

Because if David had not paid for the land himself, he had sacrificed nothing.

If you find that hard to understand, think of it like this:  if you want to present a loved one with a gift, then YOU have to pay for it somehow.  Maybe with money, or if it's something you made yourself, you paid for it with your time, skill and efforts.  But you do have to pay for it YOURSELF.  If someone else paid for it, gave it to you, and then you present it to your loved one, then the gift is not from you, but from the one who paid for it--from THE ONE WHO GAVE UP SOMETHING FOR IT.

So too with David.  The Lord couldn't honor David's sacrifice if David had sacrificed nothing.

David said i will not sacrifice nothing that cost me nothing he paid full price for the place to build an altar and for the ox's he sacrificed. It was David sin for numbering Israel He was given three choices of how God would punish him for what he had done. David chose to let the Lord pick the punishment of pestilence killing about 70,000 people and David when he say what was happening said Lord please do not kill your people but let the punishment be on me and my house. God relented when the Angel of death was about to go into Jerusalem and kill some more. That is why David said i will not sacrifice to God anything that cost me nothing. Thanks for the question. Read 2 Samuel 24:18-25. This is the answer for you it was cause because David wanted to number all Israel.

• Rico

David recognised that he needed to make a sacrificial offering, if he had received the gift of land then he would not have been the one making a sacrifice.

• Tails: I don't know.

Heads: I am pretending to know, with a big psychopathic grin on my face.