Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 1 month ago

my dog has enlarged prostate and can t poop but his activity is normal still eat and bark.  what should I do should I get him surgery? ?

he is about 8 years old.

3 Answers

  • Jojo
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

    There  are  medications from the vet that can shrink the prostate gland, but the dog will need to be on the medication for life. The alternative is castration. One of my  GSD`s  was on medication for an enlarged prostate gland when he was 9 y/o and he live to 15 y/o with no further problems. 

    • Login to reply the answers
  • 1 month ago

    You do whatever the vet suggests which is normally castration and presuming that a tumour has been ruled out. 

    • Login to reply the answers
  • 1 month ago

    If he's having trouble having a BM, he will soon be very far from 'normal'.    Yes, he needs to be castrated.   Be advised by your VET.

    Source(s): We had two old boys with enlarged prostates and both were castrated after which they were fine.
    • Login to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.