Will asked in PetsDogs · 1 month ago

What would help my dog after a seizure?

So my dog (a 10yr old Chihuahua, Jack Russell mix) had a seizure for the second time. We took him to the vet again, and it was the same as before. More medication and no tips on what would help. Like what should I do to help him not pant so much? He’s been panting this whole day and his second seizure happen over a day ago. He was left over night at the vet but he’s still panting like crazy. The medication is causing his head to tilt too and also causing him to walk funny. Anything that’ll help with that too? Sorry. Just have no idea what’ll help. I’ve searched but not any good info out there that I can find.

• Maxi

This is a question you ask your vet as without knowing why as there are many causes of seizures just depends on what is causing your dogs siezures so  Idiopathic epilepsy, inherited, toxins, tumour or an organ failure/mafunction

Some general information https://vcahospitals.com/know-your-pet/seizures-ge...

I'd suggest this is a stroke situation - the head tilt.   Back to the vet for a discussion re the poor dog's future.   It may be a kindness to let him go, sadly.  This is what happened with one of our hounds and it WAS a stroke.   You might prefer to take a second opinion before making the final decision however.

Panting indicates stress, pain, or cold.   I'd suggest it's the former.  

I'd be on the phone with the Vet.  It MIGHT be the medication.  Recovery from a seizure is a long process.

He is SO VERY FORTUNATE that you are his owner - and I mean it!

• Bill

so his head is not in the correct position and he is panting like crazy. Consider this , the animal has had a stroke and now he is so confused that he is suffering anxiety. The animal is suffering the same as ahuman so consider that at the age , ti might just be kinder to put him down