Advice on getting a tattoo?

My biggest and only fear is the tattoo fading and looking really ugly after a certain period of time.

What is your advice on avoiding a tattoo from fading? Does size contribute in fading? What about the area you get the tattoo? What about coloured tattoos?

I’m thinking about getting one just above my ankle or on the side of my torso. Where it will be out of view from anyone, including the sun.

Favorite Answer

Great question! Let me give you the low-down on your questions (I have had many tattoos myself and my brother is a tattoo artist!). 

Q: What is your advice on avoiding a tattoo from fading?

A: Basic necessities are: keep it out of the sun (which you seem to already know), keep it moisturized, and avoid wearing tight-fitting things over it that will frequently rub against it.

Q: Does size contribute in fading?

A: Not necessarily. It is way more contingent on where on your body you get it.

Q: What about the area you get the tattoo?

A: Yes. This absolutely impacts how fast a tattoo will fade. When you get a tattoo in an area where your skin frequently bends or has tight clothing rubbing against it (sadly, this includes your ankle where socks may rub against it), the tattoo is more likely to fade. I actually have a tattoo running down the side of my ankle area, and the bottom area of it where my sock rubbed against it is much more faded than the top part. My brother also says that he avoids doing tattoos in the sides of people's hands because the skin bends there and frequent hand-washing often rubs the tattoo right off over time.

Q: What about colored tattoos?

A: If good-quality ink is used, colored tattoos shouldn't necessarily have more of a problem with fading as opposed to black tattoos, BUT some people feel that a colored tattoo looks a little bit worse when it fades as opposed to a black tattoo, because if you were using the color for flare or definition the tattoo may look very different when the color starts to fade.

Sorry for the long response, but I wanted to try and answer this thoroughly because I had very similar questions before I started getting tattoos and I wished someone had answered these questions in detail for me. Keep in mind, too, that you can always get your tattoo touched up (many good tattoo artists have a guarantee on their work, meaning they will basically do touch-ups for you for free if you go back to them!). Good luck!

• Good Moaning
      1 month agoReport

Great answer! Thanks for the advice!

Good artists know what they are doing so they will give you a good tattoo that will last. 

• Laura

Go to a good artist.  Good artists know what they are doing so they will give you a good tattoo that will last. 

• audrey

Don't worry. You can get them touched up if they fade.

It will, no doubt about it.