KIA SOUL 150,000 miles. New to me! ?

Hey there, just bought a 2010 Kia Soul with 150,000 miles, with proper care do you guys think I can make it to 250,000 miles.  I am very handy with cars and do most of the work my self on cars. (In the warm months).  What do you guys suggest for keeping my new to me car running like new for another 100,000 miles? Not only that but what do you guys suggest for keeping the outside looking new and spiffy?

The Kia Soul is Manual Transmission.

Very excited about my new purchase.

Favorite Answer

Those cars have a good reputation for reliability, but there's no way to predict whether it can go another 100,000 unless you know the previous owner, how gently they treated it  and whether they did regular maintenance according to the schedule in the owners manual. It's also going to depend on how well you treat it. 

You had better find out if yours has a timing belt or a timing chain. If it is the 2.0 it has a belt that needs changing every 60,000 miles (80k at most). If it has the 2.0 and the timing belt breaks, it will trash the engine because that is an "interference" design. If it has  the 1.6L engine it has a timing chain instead and ought to be good for 200k with no worries. After that you'll be riding a time bomb. 

• John1 month agoReport

Wow, great answer! Thank you very much, I have the 1.6 engine so I will make sure to change that timing chain closer to 200k so the engine isn't a time bomb!

Change the ATF every 60,000 miles.

Make sure the spark plugs were changed at 100,000 miles and are either NGK of Denso brand spark plugs. I'd run an Iridium spark plug.

If the coolant looks dirty replace it.

• John1 month agoReport

Thank you very much!! Very helpful!

Better have some savings for a new transmission.  It will need one in a year or two.

• John1 month agoReport

Yeah I could see that happening, I would be able to install a new manual transmission my self.

Young car I'd trade in a Corolla or a medium silk makes it look more seasoned.

That car is spent. you shoulda got a corolla or civic if you dont have that much cash. 

• John1 month agoReport

I traded my 22 year old corolla in for this car