Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferencePrimary & Secondary Education · 1 month ago

If subjects like maths and science are being taught in schools everyday, why do most people still lack a good understanding of them?

Is the goal to learn and pass a test, but then forgot everything?

Update:

Not the school's goal the student's goal.

3 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    3 weeks ago

Unfortunately for most American kids, that's exactly the goal- they memorize only as much as they need to in order to perform well on standardized tests, and then they promptly forget what they've learned once the tests are done. It's sad, because the tests serve no real purpose except to show how well kids can memorize information. The ones who excel at this perform well, and those who can't do this as easily won't  do as well on the exams.

America is a country where teachers are paid based on how well their students perform on standardized tests, as opposed to how much the students actually KNOW, which is a completely different subject. For that reason, the teachers spend all their time "teaching to the tests" instead of teaching kids REAL, MEASURABLE, VERIFIABLE LIFE SKILLS that will allow them to be successful in the adult world outside of school. This is one of the reasons why there are so many horror stories around about kids graduating from high school who can't read well enough to be able to do college level work, and kids who lack even the most basic math skills. Add in the fact that virtually all teachers belong to a union of one kind or another, and the situation becomes even more dire. The unions are the ones who set the salaries that teachers earn, and they have to be accountable to their members. They fought bitterly to stop the implementation of both the No Child Left Behind law in 2001, and the "Common Core" curriculum that came out during the past decade. Why? Because they knew it would lead to the exact situation I described above- one in which teachers would be forced to "teach to the tests" instead of teaching kids real skills that they actually NEED.

The real losers in this scenario are the KIDS themselves. It has become well documented over the past 40 years or so that at least 2/3 of all incoming college freshmen must spend at least SOME TIME during their first two years of college taking REMEDIAL COURSES in subjects like reading and math, so they can make up for what they DIDN'T LEARN ( or were never TAUGHT, which is even worse) in high school and middle school. Our nation's colleges and universities have become experts in offering remedial instruction because of this. But the problem with these courses is that they waste precious time, money, and resources that would be far better spent ELSEWHERE. Kids need to enter college prepared to MOVE FORWARD with their education, and not have to waste precious time repeating things that they should have learned MUCH EARLIER.

• Login to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

A lot of people don't use it once they finish with the class.  I was really good with calculus when I took it but today, I'd be hopeless although I'm still good with other math because I use it.

• 1 month ago

Pretty much, yes. Schools are generally funded on how well students perform in standardized tests. So the teachers are pretty much forced to teach only what's on the test, and nothing actually useful. It's a pretty terrible system. All this is in the US, anyway, I don't know about other countries.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.