Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceCredit · 1 month ago

GUYS IM FREAKING OUT ABOUT MY CREDIT SCORE, HELP?

I was just checking my credit score and saw that there has been a missed payment reported on my account with BANK I have no effing card with. Short story long, im 99 percent sure they made a mistake with my twin sister cause its the exact balance of her account that is ON MINE and I HAVE NO IDEA HOW OR WHY and she opened the account in june 21. ANYWAY CAN I FREAKING SUE THE BANK? I had a dramatic drop in my score 5 months ago but it went back to normal (710) till now I randomly decided to check. WHAT WOULD U DO IF U WERE ME?

Contact the credit bureau and report the error by telling them you do not have a card with your bank.  They will fix it.

• Eva

You don't sue the bank, you file a dispute with the credit reporting agency explaining the situation. The error should be removed from your report. You have to do this with all 3 of the major agencies if the error appears on each one. Make sure your sister isn't using your SSN.

You contact the credit reporting bureau that has the incorrect information, in writing, and tell them what they have is incorrect.

You simply dispute it with the credit bureau. Fairly common. They will remove it and then check to make sure its right. If it shows back up, then you have a problem.

• Amy

Call the bank and tell them to fix their mistake.

It's pretty common for incidents to show up on the wrong person's credit report, but that's usually because two people have the same name.

First, stop freaking out.

Second, call the bank and find out how many accounts they have under your name or social security. If she used your name (which would have to be intentional) or your social security number (which might have been an honest mistake), that's your problem.

If not, if your account is the only one under your name and social security number, or if this bank doesn't have any accounts under your name or social security number, then this is the credit bureau's fault, not the bank's fault, so don't sue the bank. Just dispute the report with the credit bureau; when they find out that the bank can't verify it, they'll remove it.

Either way, since the late payment is on your sister's account, tell your sister to pay the bank.

nobody cares bruh

• Scott

In order to sue someone, you need to be able to prove damages. How were you damaged? Your credit score went down. That's not damage. Each of the 3 credit reporting agencies has a process to dispute errors on your credit report. I suggest you start there.