fdf asked in Social ScienceGender Studies · 1 month ago

Is “ beauty is the ey of the beholder “ a concept that is only true from a man’s viewpoint but not from a woman’s viewpoint ?

I certainly think that men have a very diverse taste when it comes to women’s bodies ..Some men like skinny women other men like chubby women .. Some men like brunettes other men like blondes . Some men like Asian women other men like Hispanic women . Etc etc 

Now women as a whole have a very homogeneous taste when it comes to men . When have you ever heard of women being attracted to short men ? Or  non Asian women being attracted to Asian men ? Or women being attracted to men who are balding ? Based on what I know about my female relatives and based on what I have heard in real life and read on dating sites I can say that from a woman’s viewpoint it is not true the saying “ beauty is in the eye of the beholder “

What are your thoughts ?

• Foofa

In a world where Idris Elba (black and older), Bruno Mars (short and Asian) and Jason Statham (bald) are all considered sex symbols to women you fail to make your point about the homogeneity of straight female taste in men.

You seem to not know any women. I suggest talking to one before assuming we all like the same man.

Beauty may be in the eye of the beholder but for women beauty is not the primary facet used in choosing a mate.  They will go past a beautiful jerk to marry an ordinary but nice guy.

Beauty is not in the eye of the beholder, however, preference is in the eye of the beholder.

Everyday some man posits that men are immune to any social conditioning while women are somehow complete slaves to it. Give me a break. Men like women who look more alike than different. 

• Lv 7

maybe you just haven't met the right women? if you only ever look in the same places, you'll only ever find the same types of women...

I'm not sure because a guy's instinct actually is to be attracted and aroused by what he sees.  But HOW he sees WHAT he sees is a whole new kettle of fish because as you say we have differing taste.

I'm no expert, it's just an opinion, but I think that what decides what you're attracted to and how and why, is learned from childhood and through adolescence.

• fdf1 month agoReport

peers or society and consequently for a man it’s not embarrassing to date a woman that others might consider “ ugly” as a result of her hair color , race etc