Purchasing a used car question ?

I purchased a used Chevy Cruze at a Toyota dealership today. The advertised price was $7977 on cargurus as well as their website. When I arrived at the dealership I looked over the car and test drove it. Once everything checked out I decided to purchase the car. While we were going through the financial stuff, the salesman I was dealing with showed me a history of the maintenace that had been done on the vehicle once it was traded in about 2 weeks ago. Stuff like brakes and windshield wipers were replaced. He then gave me a bill for a little over $1000 that he added onto the advertised price of the car. So long story short I bought the car despite this charge because I needed a car pretty desperately and had been sitting there for 2 hours at this point. What I am wondering is has anyone had something like this happen to them? I feel like they charged me for maintenace on a car that I didn't even own yet. I also feel like they falsely advertised the price of the car to get people to come look at it. Thanks

There are a LOT of stupid answers here. Listen carefully, you bought a higher mileage Chevy. The salesman simply showed you what went on when the vehicle went through service. What you're likely seeing is the total price of the vehicle, plus tax, title, and licence. An advertised price will NEVER include those fees. 

Source(s): 20 years retail auto sales experience.

Then that $1000 should be an itemized bill showing you what you are paying  for.  Sales tax, road tax. state tax, environmental tax are common.

It is irrelevant "HE SAID" they replaced the brakes.(they took out new brakes and replaced it with old brakes) YOU JUST DON'T KNOW.  The car comes with brakes, good or bad. and windshield wipers good or bad.  

AND WITH A FULL TANK OF GAS IF HE WANTS TO SELL IT.  No charge.   The advertised price is the minimum, for they do not know if you want extras, which get added on and once all the extras are decided then it is TAXED (for the governments want their share)

You can go back after the fact and ask them to itemize the $1000.00 for you so you feel at least better about it.

• Dylan1 month agoReport

Update: After talking with the dealership the next day, they decided that it was wrong of them to charge me the $1000. So they are sending me a check. I thank all of you for the support and advice.

You got taken.  My rule #1 is to never believe anything a used car salesman tells you.  When you buy used, from anyone, you take your chances.

• bobby

When you buy a car,  either new or used,   you will be paying tags, tax, title fee, doc fees, etc, so I would not worry about it being $1000,   

Every salesman likes a dumb sucker like you.

Source(s): Mitsubishi Master Tech

You were screwed.

WOW, did they ever stick it to YOU. That sure seems like false advertising to ME. I would have walked out.

.

Didn't ever occur to you that maybe the previous owner got tired of a crappy car, and decided to trade it in on a Toyota for reliability? 

NEVER buy a car from a different brand dealer. 

You sure the added charges were for the maintenance items? When you buy a car , there are always added charges for sales tax, tag, title, and possibly other official fees. I'll admit that $1000 sounds too high for just these items but the dealer might have added an extended warranty or other "junk" fees. Did the bill itemize what you were being charged for?

No  one would try that on me, and if they did I'd walk out and contact my state's Secretary of State office that handles scams like that.

• k w

what ever their costs were, should have been in the price quoted adding that to the advertised price is just plain wrong.....better say something !