aiste asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 1 month ago

Fluent speakers of English, could you help me with my English?

I need to translate a paragraph but my English is not very good. Should I change this paragraph to make it sound more natural? I would be very grateful for any answers.

According to the historical records, the level of education was not high during that period. However, in the Masovia region, there were many people who were able to read and write and thus were able to develop a variety of skills. This is evidenced by their songs, local melodies, the language dialect as well as poetic eloquence.

This was particularly of use to young men who were enlisted as recruits and for whom signing served as outlet to express their pain as they had to separate for good with their parents, relatives, lovers, fiancées or even wives, and, most importantly, with their motherland, ancestors’ graves and the churches.

• Dave

"According to the historical records, the level of education was not high during that period. However, in the Masovia region, there were many people who were able to read and write and thus develop a variety of skills. This is evidenced by their songs, local melodies, the dialect of the language in this area, as well as a degree of poetic eloquence.

This was particularly useful to young men who were enlisted as recruits and for whom signing served as an outlet to express their pain, as they had to separate for good from their parents, relatives, lovers, fiancées or even wives, and, most importantly, from their motherland, ancestors’ graves and the churches."

You may have explained earlier in your text, but was the 'Masovia' area near a center of culture, or a big city...or what institution(s) gave that a higher level of literacy? Your excerpt made me wonder that...  

Everything seems pretty good except right before outlet. Before outlet, you might want to put "an" 

• .

Change to this:

This is evidenced by their songs, local melodies, the language dialect, and poetic eloquence.

Otherwise, it's fine.