Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceHigher Education (University +) · 10 months ago

Do Colleges Require Music Majors to be in High School Band?

I want to major in music and be in the college concert bands and marching band. I have been in band all four years of my high school career, until now. Marching band is over, Christmas concert is being played, and the next semester is about to begin bringing concert season. In other words, I’ll only be missing one semester. This is going to sound strange but I want to quit, and I have legitimate reason to, but I won’t go into my soap opera. So here’s my question. If I drop out of high school band now, can I still play in college band? I’ve never heard any rule against it, but I know with things like Honor Band or All State you have to be involved in a high school band so I just wanted to make sure before I do this.

• Laurie

I majored in music, at Drake University, and I never was in marching band.

I play the piano. There are LOTS of musicians who never participated in marching band, because marching band doesn’t include pianos... or violins, or harps, or cellos... and so on.

• MS

They will not usually require that you be in high school band.  As long as you can pass the audition into the program, your ensemble experience shouldn't be an issue.  And the fact that you've otherwise been in band will surely help.  I've known several music majors who were homeschooled, so they weren't part of any high school concert or marching band; they took lessons and sometimes participated in community bands.

The "soap opera" statement gives me pause. Don't get bullied out of something you enjoy or intend to study because you don't like other students or the teacher or something. It's "cutting off your nose to spite your face." 

The only really valid reason for dropping band is a scheduling conflict with another important class. If colleges ask at your audition why you aren't taking band this semester, a valid answer is something to the effect of "because of scheduling conflicts with Calculus BC." "Because the second chair violinist Timmy Jones broke up with me in the middle of the Winter Formal" not so much. 

That said, you should be OK, as long as you pass the audition. Many college music majors aren't in their high school bands for one reason or another (for example, if they are singers).