2 graphics cards from different manufacturers in one system - does it make sense?

Hi. Today I received my new AMD Radeon RX 590 graphics card, and I have noticed that it's running quite warm even on older titles (which in turn gives me overheating issues on my Ryzen 7 CPU).

I am now considering whether it makes sense to keep the Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 I was previously using as a secondary graphics card, mainly for Nvidia Physix calculations but also to run older games that don't require the high performance of the RX 590 (or are better optimized for the Nvidia card).

My mainboard is the ASUS ROG Crosshair VI Hero, which should have two PCIE slots available. Any advice on whether this is a good idea? Thanks in advance.

They wont play together well!

Those RX 580 and 590 cards run on the hotter side. A factory overclocked RX 590 can rival the power consumption of a GTX 1080ti or Vega 56. It would be for the best to set a fan curve in either Wattman or with MSI Afterburner. 

Having a 2nd card in the No.2 PCI-E x16 slot is only going to impede airflow to the primary card. 

The issues you're having with the CPU are due to the airflow in your case. 

Nvidia took away the ability to use PhysX an AMD card in the primary slot. There might be some ways around that. You do have to download the PhysX drivers then enable PhysX. 

Otherwise the Physics calculations fall on to the CPU and a Ryzen 7 should be more than powerful enough to process Physics. You can try to experiment with another card but I'm not sure if you'll find it useful. Try it both ways.

• keerok

Yes, makes sense if you plan to use multiple monitors with one CPU. Fans, you need to double their number too.

Depends on the slots of that motherboard.

When you have first PCIe slot filled with the first GPU card alone, it stays as 16X.  On that motherboard, when you fill the second PCIe slot with another GPU card, the first slot becomes 8X. Rarely both cards remain in 16X slots.

This magazine review of the board says:

"We installed just one video card in our test machine, but if you are going with multiple cards, a few limitations to bear in mind. If you're using a Ryzen processor, you'll use use the top two PCI Express x16 slots for video cards, which will share PCI-lane bandwidth (bouncing them down to x8 each) with two cards. With a 7th-generation A-series CPU, you'd use the top PCI Express x16 slot and the bottom one, with the top one running at x8 and the bottom at x4."

https://www.pcmag.com/review/361008/asus-rog-cross...

So you have to judge if two cards is okay with that ASUS ROG Crosshair VI Hero board.  And if any unforeseen difficulty comes from the 2 cards together.

Also, there are the issues of PSU output, cooling of system, and if you really need that older card or sell it.

• W.ill1 month agoReport

I plan to put the older card in my old computer when I get it back (currently borrowed it to someone else), so just thought it might be a good idea to put it to use rather than in storage. However, I'm afraid you're right about the 8x/8x issue, just looked up board specs (looks like 2 GPUs = 8x/8x).