Should an inexperienced substitute teacher have a mentally ill student in the classroom?

I am doing a "maternity leave." It's my second week and they dumped me a child who is obviously mentally ill and disrupts the class. The next day, they moved him with another teacher as they realized their mistake in placing an ill child with a substitute as he is a huge liability. To top it off, their old district has not send any grades nor any accommodations/papers to the school. The teacher they sent him to complained that she" "couldn't handle" him in her class so they sent him back with me. I don't know what to do with him--he's so low (academically.) I asked her for grades (they took several tests that day) and she didn't have any. I don't know what he did all day with her then. I already had a parent complain that I didn't allow time for AR testing and the administration did not have my back. I cannot imagine what will happen if this kid attacks other kids. I want to get the heck out of there. I should, right?

It's a regular ed classroom by the way.

Gee, the kid is shuttled back and forth because no one wants him, and sits in a class where tests are being given all day. So he acts out. I would, too. 

Teachers are supposed to have training in their programs on working with special needs children. They are also supposed to differentiate instruction so that kids don't get hugely frustrated by not being able to do anything. That's the public schools. Are you at a private school where no one knows what to do? 

• Mikaila Cox
      1 month agoReport

and I believe that is a huge liability and a disaster waiting to happen---for everyone in the classroom---the kid, classmates and myself.

probably not, i would talk to the principal in your school about it

• Mikaila Cox
      1 month agoReport

Thank you. I just needed a little boost because I felt bad/guilty over the thought of leaving. I shouldn't though--just looking out for myself.