Moving out when lease ends?

I got a lease with two roommates. I am not the head tenant. Our lease ends in November 9, 2020. I will move out once the lease ends. How does one go about it if the other roommates will not move out and just me? This is what I found on the lease.

The Variable Lease Term section indicates an automatic continuance of the Agreement on a month-to-month basis after the Termination Date;

the Agreement will continue after the Termination Date until either party terminates the Agreement by giving the other party at least thirty (30)

days written notice signed by all RESIDENTS, or as otherwise specified by law.

 The Variable Lease Term section indicates an automatic continuance of the Agreement on a month-to month basis after the Termination Date,

and if you would like to vacate on the Termination Date, you must give at least thirty (30) days’ advance written notice of your intent to

terminate on the Termination Date.

9 Answers

Relevance
  • Judy
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Give the landlord notice IN WRITING 30 days before the lease ends.

• Login to reply the answers
  • Maxi
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

No idea if you all signed the same contract or you each have individual contracts..

same contract you all need to give 30 days notice prior to your leaving

individual contract.. you need to give 30 days before the end of your contract

You need to look at which contract you have and speak to the landlord as the landlord may want to 'replace' you with another tenant, or require you/roommates to find someone to replace you

• Amy
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

More than 30 days before this lease ends, your roommates will sign a new lease for the next year.

• 1 month ago

Give proper notice and you will no longer be obligated. If another tenant continues leasing, then you may not get your portion of the security deposit back until the last tenant moves out, unless you are lucky enough to convince the continuing tenant to pay it to you when you move out.

Source(s): Certified Paralegal, with 25+ years' experience & with Landlord & Tenant law experience.
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

as long as they don't fight you, you simply give notice.  if they are staying, make sure they sign a new lease without you, otherwise they may try to sue you for continued rent.

if they refuse to terminate the lease, you take them to court

• Daniel1 month agoReport

Thanks! Yes that appears to be the issue. They understood and will sign a lease without me at the end of the current one. 

• 1 month ago

when discussing a residential lease its a different animal then most contracts, in that just because the LL inserted a certain contract provision and you signed to such agreement doesn't mean such provision is enforceable in LL/tenant court

I have seen LL try to imply that all tenants must agree to move out with proper notice if not said tenant seeking to terminate with proper notice is legally binding to the contract , never seen that provision upheld in court

So give proper notice under your lease to end your relationship with the LL, then if the LL tries to hold you liable after the proper termination date , answer any lawsuit or contest the LL withholding of monies from SD

• 1 month ago

i would ask your landlord about it

• Bort
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

Give them 30 days written notice that you are vacating (moving out) at least 30 days before the 11/9/20. So around October 1st tell the landlord or management people you plan on moving out at the end of the current lease. What they work out with your room mates is up to them and the other room mates.

If you don't inform the landlord or management that you're moving what that term in the lease means is that as of 11/10/20 the agreement is a month-to-month rental agreement. Month-to-month agreement terms have slightly different and more lenient laws. None of which apply to you if you move out by 11/9/20.

When you give notice that you're vacating you don't have to stay for the entire 30 days you can move out immediately if you want.

• SimplytheFACTS
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

what part of ALL roommates did you not understand...

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

As long as they pay, its no problem. If they don't, it could affect you even if you move out. If they sign a new lease without you, then you are done.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.