Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 month ago

Do you agree with MLK Jr’s “Letter from Birmingham jail? Christians have the right to disobey civil law if it contradicts the will of God?

While MLK Jr was confined in the Birmingham, Alabama city jail he wrote:

“One has not only a legal but a moral responsibility to obey just laws. Conversely, one has a moral responsibility to disobey unjust laws. I would agree with St. Augustine that ‘an unjust law is no law at all.’

“Now, what is the difference between the two? How does one determine whether a law is just or unjust? A just law is a man made code that squares with the moral law or the law of God. An unjust law is a code that is out of harmony with the moral law. To put it in the terms of St. Thomas Aquinas: An unjust law is a human law that is not rooted in eternal law and natural law.”

In other words, it’s okay to disobey a civil law if the law contradicts the law of God.

https://churchpop.com/2015/01/19/martin-luther-kin...

Update:

King quotes two Catholic theologians/doctors of the church

10 Answers

Relevance
  • David
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

I read Letters From a Birmingham Jail. Not sure I could endorse his recommendation, but he surely had an effect on the world I never will.

• Login to reply the answers
  • Hogie
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Such laws are commonly referred to as "statist" laws, where there is no real victim. The "state" takes the role of victim, but they cannot answer the question as to how the state was harmed or potentially harmed. Such laws have no place in a supposedly "free" country.

• those of the True Christian Faith are to obey the law of man in the societies in which they live.... that is decreed by God..... but.... if man's law contradicts God's Law.... then God's Law must be followed

• 1 month ago

Act 4:18  So they [the local governmental rulers] called them and charged them not to speak or teach at all in the name of Jesus. 

Act 4:19  But Peter and John answered them, “Whether it is right in the sight of God to listen to you rather than to God, you must judge, 

Obviously we must do what God says even if it means not following what the government says.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

King was going to convert to Catholic. It’s one reason he was killed off

• Tolstoyevsky
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

if h was going to convert, he would have to stop the adultery. are you Catholic at all? seriously?

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

mlk wasn't Christian any more than jfk was.

• yesmar
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

I do agree.  Christ's law of loving others trumps any civil law that is unjust , immoral or fails to show love to others.  In the face of enforcement of unjust actions, Christ followers are to disobey and face the consequences if need be.

Source(s): Jesus follower
  • 1 month ago

But who decides what is a "just" law? Some laws are obviously unjust such as those that allow one group of people to discriminate against another group on the grounds of race, sex, age, sexuality, religion etc. The problem is that different religions have different ideas as to what is a just law. What might be fine for the Baptists might be unjust for the Anglicans etc.

There are unjust laws and protesting against them and fighting them is the honourable way to go. Breaking unjust laws is a form of protest that has been done through the centuries. Alas, breaking unjust laws is the road to martyrdom.

• Mike W
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Yes, I would agree with that. 

• Yes especially if the law was immoral, (Jim Crow, Segregation et al)

Declaration Of Independence : "When in the Course of human events, it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another, and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation."

But it takes a fight

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.