USB Hub Device Disconnecting, and Reconnecting?

My Mother has this USB Hub device that looks like an octopus supports 4 other connections, but it keeps disconnecting and reconnecting for no reason. I want to know the name, and where the drivers for it are so i can see if it's a mere driver issue.

9 Answers

Relevance
  • Who
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

they are crap (I bought 2 and neither have ever worked)

(hubs dont need drivers)

• Login to reply the answers
  • 1 month ago

It's probably shorting out

Throw the junk in the garbage before it fries her PC

• 1 month ago

Is it, a powered HUB.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Try:

1. Different USB port on computer 

2. Different USB cable from computer to USB hub

3. Buy a new USB hub or find one at Goodwill. They are dirt cheap. 

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

Most no name USB hubs tend to use the generic device drivers that were already preloaded into your OS, try with a different USB hub to see if its a faulty hub. 

• Adrian
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Many low end 4 port USB hubs all share the same power that comes from the one PC port. That is, USB 2.0 provides a maximum 500mA of current. Having 4 devices connected to that one port, sharing that maximum current, can cause a current overload if the 4 devices plugged in total more than 500mA in current requirements. A current overload will shut down the PC port (power), at least for a short while, causing all devices to drop.

Only use a "powered" USB hub, one that has its own wall plug type of power adapter.

• Dick
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

I have one of those ... I never use it but try wiggling the wire going into the connector that normally plugs into the pc. You may discover that there is an broken/frayed wire there and when you wiggle it a temporary disconnection occurs. If so, junk that cable.

• opurt
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

The drivers for most USB hubs are built into Windows as a "Generic USB Hub". Without knowing what's plugged in to it, it's more likely that the devices connecting to it are drawing too much power causing it to reset, or it's simply defective.

• 1 month ago

Computer Management window

Device Manager.

Click the + sign in front of the device category you want to check.

Double-click the device for which you need to know the driver version.

Select the Driver tab

• How will I know it's the device i'm looking for?

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.