Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 1 month ago

What should I do if my 13 year old cousin talks about running away from home because her mom is strict?

I think my cousin sounds too serious about it. She’s never ran away before but she’s been pushing boundaries for the past six months. Normal teen angst. Her mom is strict but not too strict. I’m worried that she’ll actually do it because she’s describing the plan In detail. My cousin says that she’ll run away with an older friend who doesn’t have a “real mom”. The friend is a 16 year old girl who’s in a foster group home. The older kid has ran away before and it took longer to find her because she had no parents to report her missing. The group home has tons of children to accommodate. It’s really common for the foster teens to run away, especially when they don’t like the rules that a home has. 

• Foofa

Tell her mother she talks about this. Ultimately it's her parent(s)' job to protect her from herself.

You can't sit on a secret like this.  If you're a teen yourself, why not tell your mom?  If this sounds disloyal, it isn't.   Nobody should ever keep quiet when someone's safety or well being is at stake.  If you're older, you could talk to your aunt yourself, but stop and think how you'd feel if she did this and something awful happened to her.  

Also, I don't know what you mean by her pushing boundaries and "typical teen angst".  At 13, she's still a child and her mom needs to clamp down on any major signs of rebellion.  She may not be as strict as you think, because she has a child making these kinds of plans and she's not even aware of it.  Does she strictly monitor phone use and what's on that phone?  Also, this is a big age gap.  Does mom know she's hanging out with an older foster kid?   If not, maybe this could be a wake up call that her daughter is very immature for her age (true) and needs closer supervision.  That's why I thought of your mom or dad.  This type of thing is much better coming from another adult.

You tell her parents and yours. If they aer smart then they will whoop her.

She will be forced back home. The group home will NOT allow her to stay once it comes out that she's a run away 

Poke holes in her plan.  Give her the "What if's" as in what if each part of her plan doesn't work out the way she plans.  Point out the risks to her safety.  The worry she would give both you and her parents.  How there isn't really anywhere to go when you are under 18.  How will she eat, bathe, sleep?  Then how will she do it when her money runs out? .How she will elude the police?  Remind her that she would be putting whomever she stays with at risk with the law.

Sounds like she's going to do it. I think she needs to have a talk about what it is she doesn't like and try to come to an understanding with her mom. If kids feel aggrieved they can develop resentment, which will be bad down the line, but at the same time the mom needs to know if your cousin is pushing her luck or if she's genuinely being too strict. They need to talk about it to understand

This has troll written all over it

i would tell her mom about it

• Tell her mom