vic asked in Business & FinanceInsurance · 1 month ago

How come medicare dont cover everything ?

Im not old enough for medicare but i see tons of commercials for medigap plans which wouldn’t be needed if medicare covered everything, I mean what’s the deal?

Update:

A lot of andwers say medicare doesn’t cover everything, I know that but why doesn’t it? The government has the money they waste more money than what medicare would use 100% covering every thing 

19 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

    Who said medicare is supposed to cover everything?  It wasn't designed to do so...

    Ahh, the old, "the government has the money" argument.  Will they still have all of the money paying out 100% for every stupid test on every old person?  Medicare is grossly exploited and one of the ways to catch this is by having the public contribute...because they will check those bills and report fraud. 

    • Login to reply the answers
  • 1 month ago

    cause nothing covers everything, ask medicare about it

    • Login to reply the answers
  • 1 month ago

    Wel I guess it was never made to cover everything

    • Login to reply the answers
  • TedEx
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

    Medicare was never intended to cover everything at 100%

    It was designed as a base, a safety net. Over and above what medicare   paid you were expected to take care of yourself

    • Login to reply the answers
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • lucy
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

    The difference between Medicare vs regular health insurance is that with regular health insurance has an "out of pocket max" that once you hit that amount, then insurance pays at 100%.

    There is NO out of pocket max with Medicare, thus it pays all bills at 80% after you have paid the deductible, which leaves 20% that you would owe. That 20% can add up, thus the reason for Medigap policies.  So depending on what plan you pick and the deductible, then once you hit the deductible, then Medigap pays all the remaining bills of 20%, thus then the bills are covered at 100%.

    Just like Medicare doesn't pay for RX, thus the need to buy a Part D plan.  Now with a Medicare Advantage plan, will have all parts of Medicare plus RX and other benefits that Medicare does not cover.   There are pros/cons for both, thus each person has to choose which works best/cheaper for them,..  

    • Login to reply the answers
  • 1 month ago

    What the deal is - is that it does not cover everything. How can it? The monthly payments are not large enough to cover everything. If they were, you could not afford Medicare. What makes it affordable is that it covers most of what most people need, with an affordable premium. If you want more coverage, then you have to pay for that. It just makes sense.

    • Login to reply the answers
  • 1 month ago

    the deal is medicare needs to operate within their business risk model, if they starts to cover everything, there will not be enough money to sustain

    • Login to reply the answers
  • Bort
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

    Obama Care. The "Affordable" that's not affordable at all for anyone "Care Act" or ACA better known as ObamaCare is an insult to a train wreck calling it a train wreck.

    • Judith
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

      Because of Obama Care a lot of people have medical insurance who didn't have it before & couldn't afford it if Obama Care (the ACA) is eliminated.

    • Login to reply the answers
  • Pearl
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

    cause nothing covers everything, ask medicare about it

    • Login to reply the answers
  • Judy
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

    No insurance covers everything. It would cost more money than the country has.

    • Login to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.