Lisa asked in HealthWomen's Health · 1 month ago

Is 41 too young to start menopause?

As I m writing this I am 6 days late starting my period. Up until now I ve never been this late. I m not sexually active so I m not pregnant. I was under stress recently. My sister went to the hospital to get her appendix removed and I had to stay with her in the hospital for a week. No sleep and poor eating. I know stress can affect you but now that everything is ok I figured my body would relax and get back on track. Anyone else experience this? Could I be starting menopause or should I be worried?

It could be the stress of everything on top of the not sleeping. I would say wait till next month and if your period is still a no-show, consult with a doctor about it. It also sounds like you’re still too young to be going into menopause but there are a lot of factors at play in that (genetics being one example) 

• Edna

Off-hand, I would say you're still be bit young to be entering menopause. I didn't enter  menopause until I was 47 or 48. I didn't gradually stop having periods - I just STOPPED, and that was it! 

It might/could be, you having any hot flashes yet? If not, then probably not menopause.

Menopause isn't something to sit around and worry about. it's just a natural thing, but you're a bit young to be starting menopause. There is periomenopause, however, which can give you symptoms of menopause for years. You might see a doctor if you're questioning this

Best wishes.

It isn't "too early" but 41 is young for menopause or peri-menopause.  Your delayed period is likely due to stress.  Since you aren't concerned about pregnancy, I'd suggest you try to relax, take care of yourself (healthy eating, daily exercise, prayer/meditation, and great sleep) and see if your period doesn't show up.

If you miss two periods in a row or have any other unexplained symptoms, consider seeing an ob/gyn.

• Tavy

No, my periods went haywire from my late 30s.however stress can alter your hormones.

It's likely perimenopause, which is common at that age.  You can have several years when your periods become irregular before they stop completely.