Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsChemistry · 1 month ago

Chemistry lab HELP!!?

Hey, I have to come up with a lab question soon. So my topic is to find the concentration of acetylsalicylic acid in different brands of aspirin to test the effectiveness of it. I will be using NAOH and most likely ethanol if available for the titration to find the concentration. So my independent variable is the concentration of acetylsalicylic acid, but what's my dependent variable? Thanks, guys.

• david

You have many possible variables.  To make a decent experiment you will need to keep some of them constant.  Like the mass of aspirin in each titration.  Obviously 500 mg should be more effective than 325 mg.  So if that is a constant, then  maybe ---  Moles of NaOH used to neutralize the acid.  This will be the product of the concentration of the NaOH and the volume of NaOH used in the titration.

====  If you use the same concentration of NaOH every time, then the dep. variable could just be the volume of the NaOH solution.

• But how can volume of the NAOH be the dep. variable if that's what's going into the buret?

The mass of the sample of aspirin tablets