I started swearing at a bunch of kids... did i get carried away?

My husband and I took a walk today with our 2 month old and noticed 3 kids

( one girl was around 13)  abusing a cat. She was trying to run away but they’d catch her and throw her around hard on the floor and laugh and chase her. I wanted to say something but my husband said better not. However, i went at it ( something came over me i couldn’t) i yelled to stop doing that that is a living thing and for them to not come close to the cat anymore. I asked them where their parents were. They started to laugh in my face and then i started swearing at them calling them ******* idiots....

I know its wrong to yell at other people kids but i felt so strongly about the matter. They are bullies torturing a small helpless cat. My husband said i shouldnt’ have yelled at them because the kids’ parents can call the police on me for that. Can they really? Their kids’ are abusing animals.

• Foofa

I would have pulled out my phone and called the police as animal torture is a crime everywhere. Maybe that would get their parents' attention and someone would actually be forced to do something about these budding serial killers.

Let those call the police. then you get a chance to explain to the police EXACTLY why you were yelling at those bratty kids. As far as I know Animal Cruelty is still a crime. Since you didn't touch them I don't think what you did is.

I would have done the same - minus the swear words.

You did get carried away. Swearing at them isn't a good way to get across a message.  The kid's parents are responsible for the misbehaviour of their children.  If the facts came out they are a party to animal cruelty.  No one in their right mind would risk that.

• Akeath

You did the right thing. It isn't illegal to yell at kids.  What the kids were doing was animal abuse - which is illegal, and the kids and their parents would be the ones the police were interested in if they were called. A lot of people who go on to kill people start as kids by abusing animals, so the police are starting to take that kind of behavior much more seriously. Better for the community to nip that type of behavior in the bud as soon as it's seen.

I think my state is considering making cruelty to animals a felony. They should be admonished for such behavior. Many serial killers start out by killing animals.

When I had a similar experience I picked up the cat and walked away with it.

Problem solved.

So you left the cat there to be abused some more and your concern is that you swore at children?

• elizabeth1 month agoReport

The cat escaped when i was yelling at them

They CAN call the police, of course! Doesn't mean the police are going to spend their time trying to track down a woman who yelled at some kids though. You didn't hit any of them, right? You didn't directly threaten them, right? I don't think it's illegal to yell at children. I know it's not illegal to cuss. It's discouraged. But I don't believe that cussing at a child is any more illegal than cussing at an adult is. It's discouraged.

Frankly, I think that when you see children torturing animals then you MUST intercede. I strongly encourage you doing so.

No, the police wouldn't even be called, how would they know how to find you. I would have blasted those kids too, they're nasty pos and the animal needed help. Your husband should have said something to those kids instead of ignoring their behaviour.