2005 Nissan Altima/knocking noise at passenger side/sounds like a rock popping around ?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

All of these are good answers, so I will say that it's a suspension issue. It could be any of the issues mentioned. Have your car inspected. 

• Login to reply the answers
  • Dan
    Lv 4
    1 month ago

Sway bar link ends

• Bort
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

Without hearing it myself I can only say what it might be:

It might be an internal bearing. If that's what it is that means the engine is going to be kaput sooner than later. If it's a bearing "spun" fixing that requires rebuilding or replacing the engine. Both are expensive repair bills.

It might be a pully loose. This is a much less disasterous situation than a spun bearing. Sometimes a pully can be tightened up, sometimes they can't and the part that the loose pully is on needs replaced. The cost of this repair depends on if it can be tightened up, that just takes a ratchet and a few minutes to fix, and which pully is doing it. If it's the harmonic balancer causing a noise like that that means it's bent and needs replaced. That's also not a very difficult job to do but it can't be left go very long or it can cause a lot worse damage to other parts including the engine internally - it can cause a spun bearing.

It could be a lifter or a rocker arm or valve or injector. These parts are in the same basic place under the valve cover and again it's a situation of what exactly is wrong. The part could be shot, or it could just be a lose nut that needs adjusted and tightened.

Don't let a noise like this go long at all before taking it to a shop to get it evaluated. Almost all shops will take a look at a vehicle and try to determine what's wrong at no charge.

Nobody's going to be able to tell you what exactly it is without hearing it them self which we cannot do here (unless you have a way to post a video with very extremely good sound quality that isolates the sound with no background noise. not even wind).

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Bad shocks but I am just guessing.  See a mechanic.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 months ago

Away bar links are the first think to check.

Ball joints are next.

Source(s): Mitsubishi Master Tech
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.