C S asked in Business & FinanceInsurance · 1 month ago

Insurance renewal time and some weird activity.?

I've had this policy since 2015. The policy was obtained over the phone with an actual Progressive agent. I use the company website to pay my premium and have since the policy inception 4 years ago.

My policy term renewed for December for another 6 months just like it always has and payment was made using the company website. Today I get a letter from some local mom/pop insurance agency saying that I need to sign 2 forms or else any claims that I might file can/could be denied in the case I get into an accident. The forms they are asking me to sign deal with Uninsured Motorist coverage.

The problems I have with this are:

1. I have never dealt with this local company before and have no idea why they are asking me to sign these forms when all acknowledgements and policy choices were done with an actual Progressive agent over the phone when the policy was established.

2. The forms they are asking me to sign already has the selection(s) "marked" by someone using an ink pen in their own hand, not mine. Can this even be legal?

Since obtaining this policy in 2015, I have never had any contact with a local agent, nor did I sign up for this policy using one.

I just checked my policy online using the Progressive website and all of my policy items and declarations are up to date as of the recent renewal that occurred on December 3rd.

Update: Georgia requires that any refusal of Uninsured Motorist coverage to be done "in writing" and kept on file at a local agent. Since I removed Uninsured Motorist coverage when I renewed my policy on Dec. 1st, Progressive was forced to assign my policy to a local Agent so they could send me the required Georgia form(s) to sign. Apparently the "electronic signature" that I signed when I removed the coverage on the Progressive website does not meet the standards of a "signature" in Georgia.

Favorite Answer

Call Progressive and ask them if they know anything about it or if there are any changes/updates for your renewal.

I wouldn't call the company that sent the letter first since they might be scamming people.

Don't sign anything until you have all the information you need or want.

Go and check your policy or ID card...I bet this agency is listed on there.  

• Who

1) an "agent" is just somebody you go to get suitable insurance from an actual insurance company

the Agent is NOT the insurer- all HE does with your premium is take his cut and pass the rest onto the actual insurance company

2) the mom/pop agent MIGHT be offering a different kind of insurance to the one you get via progressive

i.e it aint a replacement - its more a "bolt on"

YOU need to study the policy you get from progressive and compare what THEY are offering compared to the policy you already got

3) AFTER reading you could go back to progressive and ask THEM what they can offer that does the same

(just send them an email saying what the new insurance is offering in addition to theirs and ask if they got something similar (dont tell them the new insurers name)

its possible progressive can offer the same just by changing your policy type - which would make it a lot less hassle if you had to make a claim

Or you could just have a good check on their website)

This is another unethical ploy to get your money.  They are hoping you will respond and when you tell them that you don't have insurance with them, then they will try and talk you into switching, saying they will better the price and/or give you more coverage.  It's all a lie - just unethical marketing.  I have received numerous of these, not just from the insurance industry.  Tear it up and toss it out.  I don't have progressive but other local companies where I live have pulled the same crap.

Ask Progressive if they are affiliated with this agency.

I don't know and it is just me, but why wouldn't you be calling your agent or Progressive directly? (Just a thought) and ask them. But that's just me thinking like a rational person 

• C S1 month agoReport

In case you missed it, I specifically stated in my post that I did NOT purchase this policy through an Agent locally, but with a Progressive agent over the phone over 4 years ago now.

Phone them and find out what they say this is about.  Then phone Progressive if their story seems to make sense and make sure it's legit.

They contacted the wrong person - call them and see if they have an explanation.

I would not sign anything with them, they are not your agent or company.

• Casey Y
      1 month agoReport

In some states, this is a requirement...that the company uses a licensed agent in that state.