Is it true most college professors and college administrators are radical progressives?

If so, do you think college students are indoctrinated into progressivism? Do you think colleges should require political diversity? My dad says they are all leftist, and from what I have seen he is correct. Every college professor I encounter online is a progressive?

Favorite Answer

That was not my experience.  However, I studied the sciences and politics rarely got mentioned at all. Football was more common a subject that profs would raise that was not related to the curriculum.  Politics though?  pretty well never. The main reason that people tend to become "progressive" with education is that education makes you recognize all the lies that you were told while attending the government-run school systems.

The role of public schools for youth in controlling thought among the population is pretty obvious once you get a chance to see other ways of thinking.  The entire objective of public schooling is to "make good citizens".  Well, what does that mean in detail?  When you are taught to ask questions, which is the primary role of a university education, and you then ask questions and learn answers that had been hidden from you, it is not a brainwashing.  It is the opposite of it.  Not all become progressives from this either.

• Laurie

Nonsense. I’m betting your dad is himself uneducated. Radical conservatives and religious fundamentalists retain influence and power by keeping people ignorant - especially women and young people. That is why they fear education and a free exchange of opinions. They want to tell you what you SHOULD believe, and what you SHOULD think, instead of giving you access to information, opinions, and then trusting you to make up your own mind.

Perhaps you become more progressive with education...and it's not actually a bad thing.

• catmich991 month agoReport

it's not a bad thing to be indoctrinated? Oooook.

This is why absolutely no conservatives graduate from college. Think about it. Every single college person is too weak-minded to think for themselves.

• John

The answer is no.  The myth of colleges as places of left wing indoctrination is a staple of right wing political extremists.  The pundits who push those lies to the gullible don't want people to go to college for a different reason.  College students are taught to think critically, and the biggest threat to the influence of political extremists are people who think critically.  

• catmich991 month agoReport

Wrong. Wrong. Wrong. So wrong.

It is not true, but I'm not going to be able to change your mind as you didn't actually want to post a question, you just wanted to rant like an idiot. 

• catmich991 month agoReport

translation: you're a progressive. You have no problem with college campuses being progressive cesspools.