What do I do when a car I sold isn’t changed into a new owners name?

I sold a car almost a year ago and the new owner hasn’t changed the title into his name? What can I do?

Is it a possibility to get the car back? Lol

That is why there is this form called a TRANSFER PAPER.  It transfers the ownership from you to them and you both sign it and you both get a copy.  It is his proof he got it from this last owner and he presents it if he registers the car to drive.  Maybe it is sitting in his yard for the chicken coop.  Who knows.  If the car is ever stolen and found the cops return it to the last registered owner.(you) if it had not been transferred over yet or registered.    

. I never worry about it as they do register the vehicle in their name at their address whenever.

• May

You do nothing.  It isn't any concern of yours.  No.  Of course You cannot get the car back.

No, you don't get the car back.  Just make sure you notify the DMV (or whatever the DMV is called where you live) that you've sold the car and are no longer legally responsible for it.  

There will be a form to fill out and a fee to pay (they do love their forms and fees), and there will very likely be standing in line(s) involved, and then you're done.

• Edna
      1 month agoReport

I don't know about that. In TX, when you receive your yearly registration notification, there's a line that says "If you no longer own this vehicle,  check here & return this form to us". That's all there is to it - no fees and no waiting in line. 

You don't get the car back free.  You hang onto your bill of sale so that if you ever have to, you can prove you sold it. It was probably wrecked so they never registered it.

IF you have reported the sale to the DMV as you are required to do, then no matter what the buyer has done, you are not liable nor responsible for that car anymore. You of course have no legal recourse to take the vehicle back. This business is now between the new owner and the DMV!

No, you can not get the car back.

As long as you filled out the necessary form in the unnamed state you are in and kept a copy and mailed off the original to the DMV you have nothing to worry about.

If you did not go to the DMV and ask what to do now.

• oklatom
      1 month agoReport

Not the original M., the notice of sale, which is the necessary form.  Are you in CA?  See https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/pubs/brochures/reg/nrl

• Bort

If you didn't do a title transfer you legally and technically didn't sell it. If you signed the title on the sale line and gave them the title and they just never did it on their end legally and technically you still own the vehicle until they do their part of it and complete the transfer.

This could cause trouble for you. There is that risk. I personally don't take risks when it comes to the risk being someone elses actions or behavior. For exmple if they wreck the car or kill someone driving drunk...you still own the car. "what was he doing driving it?".

Of course that kind of thing may not ever go anywhere but...why let it linger out there and be a possibility?

First: Be sure of the technical stuff. Call your local DMV and ask about it. 'If they didn't complete the title transfer do I still own it?'

and if that is correct that you still own it call this dude and tell him to complete the transfer and get it out of your name or threaten to take the car back.

This is why you ALWAYS fill out the form DMV provides, with the buyer's name and address on it, and turn it in , keeping copies for your records.

I learned this the hard way when I started getting bills for parking tickets on a car I sold, and I didn't record the buyer name or address. It took some time to get it straightened out and clear my name.

Once you sell the car you've sold the car it's their business to file the title work trying to get the car back after you've taken the money is fraud.

@ the DMV you can fill out a release from liability form.