What causes toenail fungus and how can I cure it ?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

I'm a podiatrist.  It is caused by various fungi.  If you are an American with a deplorable health system, (bragging my social med Australia, Mate!) the cheapest and very effective way to a cure and it will take a year to grow out there is NO quick fix , is to put Vicks vapour rub on every night.  Soak in Listerine, the kind containing Thymol once a week.  Buy all new socks and burn the old ones, and HOT, over 70C, wash your bedlinen.  Bleach wash your floors.  Be a clean freak. Spray the inside of your shoes with Canestan and put Canestan or bleach in your HOT wash.

It's easy to cure with dedication and cleanliness.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 2 months ago

Athlete's foot, a laser

• Babu
    Lv 4
    2 months ago

It requires prescribed oral anti fungal drugs until after all the bad toe nail have grown out with no remaining infection.

Risk factors~

Uncontrolled diabetes

Weak immunity or taking steroids or other immunosupressants for a long time.

• oikoσ
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Fungus is spread by spores. Once established, it is almost impossible to cure. There IS a cure but it often causes worse problems than it solves. All you can do is use antifungal creams (OTC or prescription) to keep the fungus from spreading to the skin outside the nails.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

A fungus is bacterial. It comes from the environment.

You can fight it with over-the-counter antifungal creams and lotions, and by taking care of your nails and skin (cleaning, air drying, clean cotton socks, etc.).

If the condition persists and is painful, see a doctor, because there are prescription medicines that may help.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.