Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 1 month ago

What can I do to lose weight?

I am a 250lb, 16 year old girl who has been trying to lose weight for.. well, forever! However, my diets fail and I keep gaining the weight back. I’ve tried the keto diet and lost 25lbs but it was hard to stick with and super restrictive at times (but my doctor recommended it). I really want to know your opinions on what I should eat and drink, how I should exercise, and anything else that is reasonable that I can do to lose weight.

• Louis

The keto diet is a good way to lose weight. but it's not meant to be a long term or life long solution. Your doctor needs to give you a new plan. Perhaps he can refer you to a Registered Dietician AND a Physical therapist. At 250 pounds your life is at risk. You probably will need instruction about exercising safely. And you don't need a quick fix to lose 25 pounds you need a long term life long solution that will develop healthy eating habits for the rest of your life. 

It will probably take you a year to get to a healthy weight. and if you don't stick with a good diet you will just gain it back. So just get into the habit of eating correctly now. 

• Bryce

Work on reducing carbohydrates to a minimum.  Eat meat, eggs, cheese, non-starchy vegetables, and whole dairy products.  Avoid anything made with sugar or wheat, including bread and pasta.  Use sucralose or a sugar substitute for sugar.  Work on breaking the sugar/wheat habit.

In my younger days (I'm now 75) I had great success with the Weight Watchers program, losing 60 pounds and keeping the weight off.  One-half hour of exercise burns 500 calories, so keep this in mind as you fight the weight-loss battle. 

I am a military veteran female who has been obese for about 14 years, part of that obesity from a slowed-down malfunctioning thyroid, the VA medical center discovered. The thyroid (parent organ, the pituitary) should be checked by a doctor to determine if you might have a similar problem, but if you prefer natural remedies, KELP is one of the thyroid-stimulating foods you can use.  The VA has me on Thyroxine, 2 per day, and because obesity can elevate sugar levels, leading to Type 2 diabetes, I also take blood-sugar lowering medications.  Get a physical and have all that tested so that any diet plan you do use has a better chance of working.  

In the past 4 months, I've gone down from 304 pounds (5'4" height) to 258, but hit a snag the past two days to where I gained .4 back and then stayed the same the following day.  How do I know?  The VA provided me with a MEDTRONICS machine which feeds my data to the people monitoring my weight, blood sugar, and blood pressure.  See if you can get one of these machines in your home through your local health care provider(s).  Knowing that someone in health care is monitoring what you weigh on a daily basis helps maintain your resolve to lose---and that's how I lost the 46 pounds so far.  I did join Planet Fitness gym where I live (rather than drive into St Louis to use the VA gym for free) because it only costs $10 a month (first month is less) and nobody bothers you if you go in to use their machines.  My favorite two machines so far: a lower-body building step-on that is not electric---you step onto the feet pedals and begin walking (I managed ten steps before I quit the first time); and the reciprocating elliptical (a.k.a., cross country) machine where you are sitting down and pumping both arms and legs (while watching your choice of TV shows that run the length of the room).  Give the exercise 20 to 30 minutes at least three or four times a week, and you will lose.  Keep your carbohydrates within a recommended range and limit calories to 1200. I've used V-8 during my peak hunger moments and it seems to work.  Good luck to you.

• Alex

A person needs a certain amount of calories per day to neither gain nor lose weight. This is called your Resting Metabolic Rate. To calculate it, you need to plug some numbers into this formula.

For a man it is (9.99 x weight in Kilograms) + (6.25 x height in Centimeters) - (4.92 x age) +5

Women it is (9.99 x weight in Kilograms) + (6.25 x height in Centimeters) - (4.92 x age) - 161

A side note, this is why it is so frustrating for a woman to lose weight with a male partner. Men run hotter and can drop the weight faster.

So in my case, my RMR was (9.99x113)+(6.25x157)-(4.92x40)-161 = 1,949 calories per day when I started my weight loss program.

Now say I were to exercise and that exercise burned 300 calories per day I'd need to consume 2,249 calories per day to neither gain nor lose weight. If I didn't eat any extra, that exercise means that I'll still NEED 1,949 calories to sustain my life functions and so it will pull the missing calories from my fat reserves.

This becomes important later in the explaination.

Now a pound of fat is 3,500 calories over your RMR to gain, or less than your RMR to lose it. To start off with we'll work with a pound per week loss which is very easy to do. You may be able to up it to two pounds per week eventually but one pound per week is safe and very easy to sustain without starving yourself (very dangerous as being hungry kills diets) or working yourself half to death with exercise.

So at a pound per week you'll need to only consume 500 calories less than your RMR per day. Or 3,500 less per week.

So with my example, my starting RMR means that I need to go to 1,449 calories per day to lose weight. Since like with the exercise example above, the body still NEEDS 1,949 calories per day, it will pull the needed calories from the fat reserves.

Here's where it gets exciting. Since eating less means that your body will pull from the fat reserves AND the exercise also means that your body will pull from the fat reserves...you can combine the two.

500 calories less per day can leave you feeling hungry and hunger kills diets. Exercising off 500 calories can burn you out and that will quickly kill an exercise regimen just as quickly. So since you can combine them, you can cut your intake by 250 calories and burn the other 250 with exercise.

That's only cutting 83 calories out of each meal and doing a leisurely 30 minute bike ride per day. Neither of which is really that bad.

This way you can still eat and feel satisfied, can satisfy cravings in moderation (want that ice cream? have a small cone and ride an extra 15 minutes) and not burn yourself out.

Easy, sustainable and steady weight loss. And knowing your RMR (remember to re-calculate it as you lose weight) means that after a while you'll not be cutting your food intake to lose weight, but to sustain it.

At 170 pounds (I was 250 in the example above) my RMR is now around 1,589. I still have a ways to go yet, but I'm keeping to my diet and recalculate every three weeks. I've been dropping slow but steady since I've started this.

Now this may not work for you. There may be other factors involved (thyroid problems, diabetes, etc) that will keep this from working for you. So show this to your doctor and see what they have to say about it. If you are healthy your doctor will likely say to give it a shot.