Aren't you afraid to live without metal doors in houses and without high fences?

• C
    Favorite Answer

Nope.  I live in a city.  I have a wooden door which I often leave propped open in the summer if I'm home.  I have a 3' high stone wall around my front garden with a wooden gate you could leap over.  Someone tried to burgle me once and I just walked at them the same way one does a curious cat or fox wandering in and they turned around and scrambled out in much the same way as a fox or a cat.  This isn't an idyll, if you read the local news people do get killed, there's often blood in the street after a Friday night but I've never felt any fear here.  The general rule round here is that if you stay away from drugs trouble doesn't come looking for you.  Also, it helps that for some reason the local "characters" are completely convinced that I once caved someone's head in with a "spudger" (crowbar) and I'm not going to put any effort into disabusing them of the notion.

• In

I rarely lock the doors when I am at home, but then property crimes around here are extremely rare.

Afraid? No. Many people I know don't even lock their doors when they're not home, let alone at night. There are no fences here, and not sure you could even buy a metal door (other than a screen door), anywhere nearby.  Others simply carry a .45 at all times.

• I care

No need for safety metal doors where I live or have high fences.  Many of us,  at times turn on porch lights to defer anyone who has bad intentions.  Of course use our bolt locks and handle lock.  Live in suburbs.....We watch out for each other where I live,  and make sure no cars are about we don't know who they are.  

Check the metal doors. They are styrofoam inside. May be stronger than a cheap hollow laminate wood door.

No. I don't live in a ghetto.

if i was afraid of my neighbours that much we would be like the americans and carry guns ..you dont scare a brit that easily 

No, wood doors and barb wire fences are alright for me. Really the fences just tell the hunters not to cross. The deer, wolves, coyotes, cougars, and tweekers wouldn't be stopped by a fence, which is why I carry a .45.

No, I am happy to live with wooden doors and no fence. 

Nope, I don't live in some crime ridden, 3rd world "shithole country".

Update: We have wooden or UPVC doors,  and wooden fences. Or brick walls if you really value your privacy. Drunks and/or drug addicts don't visit my house.

Encountering drunks and drug addicts when I'm out and about is a rare occurrence, encountering drunks and drug addicts that are a nuisance is even rarer.

Update2: The only bears I've ever seen were the bears I saw at a gay pride march I  stumbled across a few years ago when I was out shopping.

• Tommymc
      1 month agoReport

Where I live, I see more bears than drug addicts. So far, we've had a bear on the porch, several that have dragged off our trash cans, and another one destroy a screen while getting the bird feeder.  Bears=5 Drunks/addicts=0