Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 1 month ago

Employer Disbarred my employment because I have a supposed Felony?

Location: MT

I put in an application at our local MCdonalds a few weeks prior to this post and I have called them 8 times and have left 4 messages inquiring about my application. I never heard a word from them not even a denial. Today My friend (whom works there) told me she asked for me and today she told me my application was denied because I was a felon (uh what.) I have never even been arrested or even gotten a parking ticket. Now I would like to mention I was on Juvenile Probation and was 208 Transfered to Adult supervision when I turned 18 (I have never even been arrested). (My case was suppose to seal when I completed probation successfully when I turn 21 years old. Which I did) Now here's the real doozies. When you look up my name you can find 2 websites (BOTH ARE NEITHER AFFILIATED WITH A GOVERMENT, THEY ARE CLEARY STATED AS MEDIA WEBSITES) These websites say I was on probation and where, but both websites are outdated by 3 YEARS and neither of them mention anything at all about why I was on probation and I am unable to contact the websites via email or phone. Finally, I paid a fee on my states official department of justice website for a background check of myself and there is not a single piece of info in the report that says I'm a Felon (or that I have any criminal past for that fact.) Is it legal for this hiring manager to disbar my employment based on false info from these websites? I'm getting a notarized document from the state website saying I have no record

They have no obligation to hire you. Period. Sounds like though maybe they made an error in their search.

Unfortunately you can fight this for an extended period of time but you have very little chance of any kind of success. The reason you were not considered for the job is "hear say" (not proof) and McDonald's will almost certainly deny it. I suggest going to college and forget about working for McDonalds.

WRONG. Disbarred means losing your license to practice law.

McDonald's has absolutely nothing to do with disbarring anyone, even their corporate attorneys.

Besides, your friend FLAT OUT LIED by claiming they said ANYTHING about why you were not hired.

I have never even been arrested or even gotten a parking ticket. Now I would like to mention I was on Juvenile Probation and was 208 Transfered to Adult supervision when I turned 18

That CANNOT be true. If you were on probation, you were CONVICTED of something and you WERE arrested for whatever that is.

These websites say I was on probation and where, but both websites are outdated by 3 YEARS

DEAD WRONG. The facts stated are, and ALWAYS WILL be true. You WERE on probation and they CANNOT change.

I'm getting a notarized document from the state website saying I have no record

NO, you may be getting an official document certified by the court, but NO Notary Public will witness ANYONE signing the document. In any case, the document isn't worth the paper it is printed on.

• xyzzy

A minor point. One should not use words that they do not know the meaning of. The word disbar means to expel from the legal profession or from the bar of a particular court. So unless you have applied to be the lawyer for your local McDonald's you have not been disbarred. That being said you can legally be refused employment for any reason at all or for that matter for no reason.

Being that it's McDonalds, you shouldn't expect a whole lot of interaction on their part if they've chosen not to hire you.

If they chose not to hire you based upon something that turned up in your background, check, they're supposed to provide you with a copy of that background check. Even though they told your friend that was the case, they could easily come up with some other excuse for why they didn't hire you.

In addition to what may or may not have been in your background check, they might have done a simple google search on your name. Does anything there show up as indicting you have a felony?

It may not be as your buddie suggested.  20 years ago when looking for a new job I couldn't get hired to save my life, and I was shooting for jobs far below my experience having interviews where the people hiring acted like they just won the lottery gaining me as an employee.  But in each instance the offer was withdrawn all because of a the background check and unpaid speeding ticket I had long forgotten about.  Because it was an "open case" it was viewed no differently than if I had murdered a bus full of nuns.  But the hardest part was that not a single prospective employer would tell me that was the reason why, because it was so easily fixable.  So, what I am saying is check your driving record.  Traffic offenses are recorded separate from criminal offenses but apparently can be just as damaging if you have any open cases. 

They can fire you without a reason so they can not hire you without a reason.

Employers aren't obligated to hire you.  Bottom line.

• SKylar1 month agoReport

Not obligated no. But to be disbarred from employment based on false information is illegal. The employer specifically stated to my friend that I was disbarred because I was a felon. I have never been convicted of a felony crime or misdemeanor. 

• Who was your employer? Your rant doesn't mention that.

And how can a fact about the past be "outdated?"  The websites say you were on probation, and you admit that you were on probation.

• If a website says you are currently 19 years old and live in Jamaica, that information is outdated. 

If a website says that you lived in Jamaica when you were 19 years old, that is a fact and will always be a fact.

It will also always be a fact that you were on probation. Verb tenses. Know them.

DAAAAMMNN that sucks...