What is the fate series about. and why is it so complicated and in what order should I watch the anime, and is it recommended to start now?

Most of it (at least the stuff that I've seen) is about summoning legendary figures to fight battles and win control of the Holy Grail, which grants its holder a wish. The legendary figures can range anywhere from King Arthur to Shakespeare to an alternate reality future version of <spoiler redacted>.

A lot of the series don't have anything to do with each other. Fate/Extra Last Encore and Fate/Apocrypha have nothing to do with each other or the main Fate/stay night storyline. Fate/stay night and Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works are alternate routes of the same story, so the first 12 episodes or so are nearly identical plotwise. Fate/Zero is the prequel to Fate/stay night, and is usually considered the best of the anime. You can watch either one first. If you watch Fate/stay night first, you'll be waiting 20 episodes for two characters to kill each other. If you watch Fate/Zero first, you'll ruin a few very minor plot twists and be slightly disappointed at the lack of action and depth in Fate/stay night as compared to Fate/Zero.

I like the story of Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works a little bit better than Fate/stay night. The animation is better than Fate/stay night, mostly because it is a lot newer.

The order I would watch them in is:

Fate/Zero

Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works

Fate/Apocrypha

Fate/Extra Last Encore

Fate/stay night (just to put a break between it and Blade Works)

The fate series is about the holy grail war, which is a war where magicians summon one hero each of the past and future to win the war. A magician wins by having the last summoned hero still standing. The War is supposed only happen every 40 years, but for some reason it starts happening every 10 years. I’ve personally only seen Fate Stay Night, the original series, and Fate Zero, which is a prequel. In my opinion you should watch Stay Night first, because it’s just not as good plus there’s some dramatic reveals in SN that aren’t surprising after watching Zero. Then there’s the heaven’s feel trilogy of movies, which are an alternate universe retelling of Stay night and the last one is coming out in a few months. And Fate apocrypha is an alternate universe but barely similar to the other series and more over the top and has cuter girls. But yeah don’t watch those movies until at least already watching Stay Night.