Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsMarriage & Divorce · 1 month ago

Can my boss fire me for personal reasons?

My boss at work happens to be my wife’s father. Can he fire me if I divorce her? That’s a personal issue and it has nothing to with my job. 

sure he can fire you

• Ocimom

In the private sector jobs, you can be fired for any reason.  You may want to start looking for another job before you divorce your wife.

If he owns the company he can/

• Foofa

Depends on the labor laws in the jurisdiction where this is happening. Also whether or not you're protected by a labor union.

He has to have a valid reason to fire you and divorce isn't a reason

• Rick

He could as long as he has a justifiable reason for it - at least on paper.  If he wants to fire you, for any reason, he can always find a way to make it seem justifiable if he's being sued for wrongful dismissal.

• David

Well, I would like to say that your boss can't fire you for personal reasons. But the truth is not that simple.

Most employees are hired under "at-will" conditions. Under these conditions, you are free to leave (quit) your job at any time, with or without notice. You do not have to give a reason if you want to leave, and you do not have to give notice. You can literally fail to show up for work one day and disappear, without a trace. That is OK. But it works the other way, also. Your boss can end your employment at any time, with our without notice. And, if your boss fires you (for example) then he does not have to give you a reason for firing you. He can literally just walk up to you and order to you clean out your desk, NOW. And then have security escort you off the property with strict orders to not let you back in, ever. You can be tossed out on your ***, literally, for NO reason, and without warning...and it's all legal.

Now let's examine the scenario you ask about. You are employed by your wife's father. You decide to DIVORCE your wife. Can your wife's father fire you for divorcing your wife? Well, technically speaking...no, he could not fire you for divorcing your wife. But he COULD fire you for no STATED reason at the moment that you decide to divorce your wife, and that would be LEGAL.

It would be illegal for your boss to fire you because you divorced your wife, even if your wife was the boss' daughter. But here's the problem. Your BOSS does not need a reason to fire you, at all. So if he feels like firing you, he CAN fire you. Good luck proving that you were fired because you divorced the daughter of your boss. First, you'd have to sue in civil court. No lawyer would want to take that case, specifically because of the at-will provisions. Meeting the burden of proof to say that you were unjustly fired is almost impossible to do, when the law states that you can be fired for any reason or NO reason.

So it boils down to...if you are going to file for divorce, you'd better have a good plan for finding a new job before you file for divorce. Your boss can fire you any time he feels like it. If you divorce his daughter? Well, one of two things is going to happen at that point. Either you get fired, or you get a promotion. It depends on how the boss felt about you being his daughter's husband BEFORE you filed for divorce...

Again, he can't fire you for divorcing his daughter. But he can choose to fire you at any time for NO STATED REASON, and there is no legal recourse if he does.

• I have to agree with you.  I've fired people before and while I did have good reason to do so I've also not fired people who have done the same thing.  It came down to I didn't like employee A and I did like employee B so I gave them a second chance.

This is unfair. If this happens, you must look for a lawyer.

• David
      1 month agoReport

Again, lawyers would not take the case due to at-will provisions.  It's not winnable.

If you need to divorce, I would find a better job. It would be incredibly awkward to expect her father to be a good boss if you kick his little sunshine to the curb. Most bad bosses don’t fire. They cause you problems and chase you off. Why set yourself up for that?

Sure he can, by making up some other reason, such as insubordination, or some other bogus reason.

Well, staying there would be pretty uncomfortable anyway.