Receiving Medicaid and Medicare?

I began to receive Medicare and SSDI in 2018. My son has been Medicaid and SSI eligible since 2001 when he turned 18. When I was approved for SSDI, he was not approved for SSDi or Medicare.  Today he got notice he was approved for Medicare (2 years after I was).  Three questions:

1. Will his Medicare Pt  B be paid for by Medicaid?

2. Will he receive SSDI benefits?

3. Since these benefits are based on me, will they continue after my death?

• Judith
    Favorite Answer

1.  I don't know if his Medicare premiums will be paid for by the state because he receives SSI but I think so - he should contact the dept of social services and ask.  Apparently he received a notice as to entitlement to Medicare.  Did you read it fully?  Because it should have covered that issue.

If it isn't automatic in your state then he can always file a claim with the dept of social services for them to do so as a Qualified Medicare Beneficiary - the program is referred to as QMB.

2.  No he won't receive SSDI benefits unless he has worked and paid social security taxes long enough.  Sounds like he has become entitled to benefits as a disabled adult child (DAC) on your account.  YOU get SSDI; he doesn't.  If he is entitled on your account it is because he is a dependent.  Dependents don't get SSDI on someone else's account.  SSDI refers ONLY to the person who worked and paid into the social security program long enough to be entitled to a social security disability benefit.

3.  His benefits will continue after you die - he will then be receiving DAC benefits as a survivor.  His monthly benefit amount will increase from 50% to 75% of your unreduced benefit amount.   Survivors are always paid at a higher rate than in life cases.

A DAC's benefit ends if he is gainfully employed or a medical review is done and it is determined that the DAC is no longer severely disabled or the DAC gets married to anyone who isn't also receiving a DAC benefit.

NOTE:  If he is now entitled to benefits on your account as a DAC then the social security benefit will either reduce or terminate the SSI since SSI is a federal welfare program - depends upon the amount of the DAC benefit.

As for why his claim was processed later - social security does not take claims for dependents until the worker's claim has been approved and fully processed (the only exception is if worker's comp offset is involved).  Your filing date protects the filing date of dependents.

I was a social security claims rep for 32 yrs.

• I don't know. My award letter denied him SSDI, but provided me 4 years of backdated benefits.  I was so excited by that Ilet that go. I was surprised to get the Medicare this month.I suspected it was because my SSDI was equal to SSI benefits. 

• reme_1

What is your question?

I would think part B would be covered as a qualified medicaid beneficiary as long as his income is low enough.  Last I checked in my state the cut off was about 950/month,  but that was a few years ago.  Looks like the income limit is 1060 this year.  So if he does get a dependent benefit, but it is still below that, I would think it would be covered.

Yes he gets social security disabled adult child benefits (half of your amount) unless you did not have enough credit value for dependent benefits.  I find it odd that was not done in 2018.

Yes if he gets disabled adult child they continue for his lifetime and even go up to 75% of your amount as survivor benefits instead of dependent.

• SimplytheFACTS
      1 month agoReport

the claim was APPROVED in 2018, meaning it was fully processed.  and its not a huge effort to list a dependent, at least it shouldn't be, all it takes is typing in the name/DOB/address/SS #

I hope that you’re okay